Script to check for link accuracy

Script to check for link accuracy

by Jan Dierckx -
Number of replies: 1
I've found a link checker script. I have modified it a bit for use in Moodle. It checks if webpages added as resources are still valid links.
  1. Unzip the file.
  2. Upload the file to your moodle/admin/ directory.
  3. Login as admin.
  4. Visit http://yourserver/yourmoodle/admin/linkcheck.php
This is quite server intensive so this should probably only be used by the administrator. I don't know what it should do next: add non valid links to the logs? Send messages to the teachers of the course?
Or is it better to teach my colleagues to use an external link validator on their own courses?
Last one is easy enough. Display the resource index with all of your files and then use one the existing link validators, there is one in the Web Developer Extension for Firefox. How do you maintain your links?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jan Dierckx

Re: Script to check for link accuracy

by W Page -
Hi Jan!

Thank you for all of your progressive scripts/modifications.

It would be good if this feature enabled admins and Teachers/Instructors to check on link validity (particularly resource links outside of their Moodle) on a regular scheduled basis and then sent an e-mail.
  • The Admin e-mail would indicate what links in which courses were dead/not functioning.
  • The Teacher/Instructor e-mail would indicate what links in their courses were dead/not functioning.
Maybe the link check could also provide a list of the resource links present in a site/course as well as which ones were dead/not functioning.  I bet this would be a helpful reminder to Admins and Teachers/Instructors as to what links they are utilizing.  This would help to keep them up to date as well as a way to determine when to change and/or update them.

The link checking and e-mail could be scheduled for "off hours" when Moodle is not being actively used [like the middle of the night].  That way, there should be less server stress.

Maybe this could be part of the "MoodleHealth" feature Jon P proposed??
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=18242

Just kinda thinking. smile

WP1