Nested Fieldsets

Nested Fieldsets

by Brian Barnes -
Number of replies: 0

An accessibility report on one of our sites raised the issue that it had a number of nested fieldsets (for example, when creating a new event, the start date time control is in a fieldset inside the general fieldset). While this is valid HTML, it is not handled well by screen readers (from my research and testing with NVDA).

Now the date and date time mform selector is not very accessible (there is no accessible structural connection between the label and the form entry fields) and I was wondering what the approach should be to fix this. My first thought is to make the label the legend for the fieldset, but as screen readers don't handle it well, it's not a great improvement. Another thought is to make it labelled by multiple controls, but again that isn't handled well by screen readers.

The question becomes, should we work towards valid uses (and wait for screen readers to catch up - I'm not sure how well they can do this) or work towards something that screen readers can support now (and I'm not sure what this is yet)?

Average of ratings: -