Stack - Maxima connection failing...

Stack - Maxima connection failing...

by Mikko Ranta -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I am trying to get STACK working in my Moodle. Almost everything is working. According to the healthscheck -script, STACK is partly(?) connecting to Maxima but there are some errors.

The error is always the same and the first time it appears is when the script tries uncached CAS call. The maxima output is below:

---------------------

Maxima 5.32.1 http://maxima.sourceforge.net

using Lisp GNU Common Lisp (GCL) GCL 2.6.10 (a.k.a. GCL)

Distributed under the GNU Public License. See the file COPYING.

Dedicated to the memory of William Schelter.

The function bug_report() provides bug reporting information.

(%i1) 

Compiling /usr/share/maxima/5.32.1/share/draw/grcommon.lisp.

End of Pass 1.  

End of Pass 2.  

loadfile: failed to load /usr/share/maxima/5.32.1/share/draw/draw.lisp

-- an error. To debug this try: debugmode(true);

(%i1) 

[TimeStamp= [ 0 ], Locals= [ 0=[ error= [ 

1=[ error= [ 

2=[ error= [ 

] ] 

(%o1) true

(%i2)

--------------

As you can see, the loadfile -function fails to load draw.lisp. First thing that I thought wast that this is some kind of permission issue. But as far as I understand, the www-data user should have permission to that file.

Error is the same when the script tries to calculate the derivative and tries to draw the plots. So I think the error is related to the first command load("/var/moodledata/stack/maximalocal.mac");".

But the weird thing (at least for me) is that everything is working if I login as www-data user (I know I should not do that) and repeat the commands of the healthcheck script directly in Maxima. Then "load("/var/moodledata/stack/maximalocal.mac");" works correctly, draw.lisp loads nicely etc...

I am puzzled. I am still a novice with Linux so any help would be highly appreciated.

-Mikko

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mikko Ranta

Re: Stack - Maxima connection failing...

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This is a wild guess, but is your system running selinux? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux

(Note, while you don't normally want to log in as www-data. Doing it as a one-off way to diagnose what the problem might be was very sensible.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mikko Ranta -

Thanks for your reply!

I finally figured out how to check if SELinux is installed. Nope.

I am using Ubuntu server 14.04 and SELinux and (Ubuntu alternative) AppArmor were not installed.

First when I logged in with the www-data user, I was able to repeat the errors of the healthcheck -script. Then I corrected the ownerships of /var/www and /var/moodledata -folders and everything started working. But for some reason this did not remove the same errors when I am running the script.

I am puzzled...

-Mikko

In reply to Mikko Ranta

by Mikko Ranta -

This problem is weird. I do not know what else to try.
So I am considering making a clean install from the beginning. Linux-Moodle-Stack.

Any recommendations? What Linux distribution the Stack developers are using? I want to minimize the risk of problems.

-Mikko