How do I move a student between cohorts on the same course without loosing their work?

How do I move a student between cohorts on the same course without loosing their work?

by Phineas Head -
Number of replies: 5

We create a group for each cohort in our courses, so students are enrolled into a group, on a course, with Cohort Sync and the 'Add to Group' function. e.g.

Cohort_Course1_1A goes to Group 1A on Course 1

Cohort_Course1_1B goes to Group 1B on Course 1

Cohort_Course1_1C goes to Group 1C on Course 1

I want to change a user's group from 1A to 1B and keep their group and cohort consistent. 

I know that, whilst removing a student from a group causes no loss of grades, removing them from a cohort does. 

Can I therefore confirm that adding them to Cohort_Course1_1B and then and only then removing them from Cohort_Course1_1A would also change their cohort without loosing any of their work? Clearly I can't easily test this on live data, and obviously I would only expect this to work if the cohorts were enrolled to the same courses, which they would be.

N.B. Moodle doesn't appear to permit you to move a student between groups where they were added by Cohort Sync, which also complicates matters.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Phineas Head

Re: How do I move a student between cohorts on the same course without loosing their work?

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Enrol a user into a new groups first, make sure this user appears in TWO groups at same time. Then remove this user from the old group.

I didn't test it but I think it should work.

In reply to William Lu

Re: How do I move a student between cohorts on the same course without loosing their work?

by Phineas Head -

Hi William, many thanks for that, but do you mean Groups or Cohorts? It's Cohorts I want to move between. As I say in my post, your solution was my guess too, but I would really like to know if anyone's actually tried and tested this first! Cheers!

In reply to Phineas Head

by William Lu -

Oh, I was talking about group. I was thinking group and cohort acting as same way.

Just read you post carefully. If you enroll one students in 2 cohorts in SAME course, then remove from one cohort, but their records/grades disappeared from this course, that it not good. I will try it sometime later.

In reply to William Lu

by William Lu -

Test report 1:

1. Site administration > Users > Accounts > Cohorts

Create 2 cohorts at system level. 

2.  Enrol users into each cohort. Not one appears in both cohorts. Got warning:

Removing users from a cohort may result in unenrolling of users from multiple courses which includes deleting of user settings, grades, group membership and other user information from affected courses.

3. Go to course, Users > Groups, 

Create 2 groups

4. Users > Enrolment methods

Add methods, select 'Cohort Sync'

Enter: Custom instance name
Select 1 cohort
Add to 1 group

Now, 1 user is enrolled into the course and 1 group at same time.

5. Login as student and submits a Quiz.

6. Login as admin and check student grade is there.

7. Users > Groups, try to remove user (with a tag: Added by Cohort Sync) from his group. Got warning: 

You do not have permission to remove automatically-added group member 

8. Site administration > Users > Accounts > Cohorts

Remove that user from Cohort.

Go to course to check: No any trace of that user. all data gone.

Test report 2:

Repeat above steps 1-6 again.

9. Site administration > Users > Accounts > Cohorts

Add the same user into another cohorts. (1 In two cohorts)

10. Check Enrolled users, that user in 2 groups now, Good Sync, Well done Moodle.

11. Site administration > Users > Accounts > Cohorts

Remove that user from his 1st cohort (older) Keep him in 2nd cohort (newer)

12. Check Enrolled users, that user only in a NEW group now.

13. Check student grade is Still there, nothing changed. Go ! Moodle.

Conclusion:

Moodle acts as we expect. Duplicate user into 2 cohorts before removing from 1 cohorts, can sync user into a new group,  will NOT lose user data. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to William Lu

by Phineas Head -
Hi William,

Fantastic! Very, very many thanks for testing that. Good to have confirmed that Moodle is sane!

Thanks again, all the best, Phin