Grid Format

Re: Grid Format

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Here is a forum thread about it: Moodle tip: Make your own countdown calendar.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Pelling -

Hi,

in the Grid format is it also possible to limit the access via Cohort or Group - for example a row in language A and Row in language B, two groups language A and B access the appropriate row. I can see other restrictions (by date/ gradebook or users etc)

thanks

In reply to Mark Pelling

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you have groups enabled in your course then you should be able to restrict by group, yes.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The Grid format uses the standard coding algorithms used in course formats for determining if a section should be shown to the user.  Therefore it should react in the same way as other core formats.  If it does not, then I want to know!

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mark Pelling -

I can see whats being said and we can limit what is seen in the section below however, it is the actual grid above - ideally we only want Group A to see the top row and Group B to see the lower row (not to see both rows as I can) - see below

grid picture

In reply to Mark Pelling

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok Mark... from the screen shot you have posted, you are an 'editing teacher' in editing mode.  Thus regardless of the group settings with restrictions, you will 'always' see everything because you 'need' to in order to be able to manage the course and set such restrictions.  Therefore, have you tested what is actually seen by logging in as a student in one of the groups to see what they see?

by Mark Pelling -

Hi,

thanks for the response - remotely logging in as a student this what I now see

Student view

There are groups and groupings both set up - so this student should only be able to access Group A material (which he can) but I would have thought that he would not be able to see the lower part of the grid - or is this an enhancement, currently using M2.6 ideally when viewing the grid of images you should be able to see the appropriate image.

In reply to Mark Pelling

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

So, how do you have your groups set up?  Are they set to separate groups?  And how are the items set?

In reply to Mark Pelling

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Mark,

When I get a moment I'll see if I can replicate in the M2.9 version.  I support the Grid format in line with Moodle support policy and thus any bugs will only be currently made in versions for Moodle 2.8 and up.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, yes I can replicate, but no it is not a bug.

In Moodle 2.9, I.....

And yes the box is still shown.  But then switching to the 'Topics' format I discovered that the section heading is 'still' shown with a message to say that its not available unless you are a member of that group.  Sections (and Grid boxes) are completely hidden only when the section is hidden with the 'eye'.  This is true and works for both Topics and Grid formats.

Functionality is 'identical' in form to that of core Moodle.  If you can prove and demonstrate that you can set up conditions in Moodle (in a core format) such that group members will not see 'anything' about a section then I'll look at it.

Attachment 2015-07-02 17_17_58-Edit course settings.jpg
Attachment 2015-07-02 17_18_41-Edit course settings.jpg

by Gareth J Barnard -

Second image shows a student user in group B logged in ...

Attachment 2015-07-02 17_19_22-Edit Topic 1.jpg
Attachment 2015-07-02 17_20_29-Course_ Grid - Internet Explorer.jpg