Moodle - Turnit Basic Integration

Moodle - Turnit Basic Integration

by Daniel Mc Sweeney -
Number of replies: 3

Hi

Im using Moodle 2.5 with Basic Moodle Integration plugin for TurnItIn

I've just had a case where a lecturer has reported that his TurnItIn class has expired mid term (we only access turnitin via Moodle). The class (In TurnItIn) has just been set to expire because its reached a 5 year open limit (which I never knew about until now!!!). I've tried to extend the class end date BUT I cant and Im told "Due to term length constraints, the end date for this class cannot be after 09-Nov-2014."

I've contacted TurnItIn support and they've told me that the only solution is to delete my Moodle course and open a new one! This isn't a runner for me as my site has over 2000 modules and I have no intention of starting to manually delete and restore courses to facilitate a poor integration with TurnItIn.

Any advice here? Thanks

Daniel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniel Mc Sweeney

Re: Moodle - Turnit Basic Integration

by Daniel Mc Sweeney -

This reply from TurnItIn tech support

"All Turnitin classes have a limit of five years. At this time, the only solution is for you to create new classes. Unfortunately, there is nothing that our developers can do about this issue.
Since the limit applies to all Turnitin classes all integrations must create new classes after 5 years."

The mind boggles on this. SO basically my site with 2000 modules will now need to have all modules deleted and set up again according to TurnItIn. Roll on the day that an alternative vendor offers a similar service!! Close

Anyway, if anyone has ideas on this? Has anyone hit this limit issue?

In reply to Daniel Mc Sweeney

by ben reynolds -

I'm wondering what would happen if you backed up with user data and restored as a new course? All your Moodle data would be there, but the Moodle course id number would be different.

How does TurnItLousy identify your course/class? Do you even need Them?

With 2000 modules, this must be a huge file size. Talk with your admin about this before you attempt to back up or restore.

In reply to ben reynolds

by John McGettrick -

Hi, the 5 year limit is there to stop institutions having active students on their account for longer than needed, this limit is a part of the core Tii product.

Through the direct integrations though you can backup classes and restore them which keeps the same Moodle class but re-creates them in Turnitin, this addresses the potential issue of active student licences.

With Moodle Direct v2 you can migrate courses from Turnitin to Moodle. This would allow you to keep your basic courses but it would turn them into Turnitin assignments.