How can I grant automatic access to a course to Authenticated Users (Not to Guests)

How can I grant automatic access to a course to Authenticated Users (Not to Guests)

by John Provasnik -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I was reading the Docs about setting up Guest Access, but what I'm looking to do is have a Resource Library available to all Authenticated Users. I don't want Guests (who are not logged in) to be able to access it. Could someone point me to the right Moodle Docs where I could set this up?

I'm looking to avoid having to enroll all users into this course, but just have it available (almost like Guest Access where users can bypass clicking on the guest access button and they just go right into the course. But I want to avoid those not logged in from gaining access to the course through the Guest Access button, so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: How can I grant automatic access to a course to Authenticated Users (Not to Guests)

by Scott Karren -

John,

You need to set the capability moodle/course:view for the intended course to allow for authenticated users.  This will open the course for anyone who is logged in to your site.  I use it for a couple of resource centers I have on my site, it works well.

Scott

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Scott Karren

Re: How can I grant automatic access to a course to Authenticated Users (Not to Guests)

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Thanks Scott! That makes sense--will attempt this on Monday. 

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I just tested:

Site: Auto-login guests = No

Course: Allow guest access = No

Permissions in Course: 

Override permissions for role 'Authenticated user' in Course:

View courses without participation(moodle/course:view)=Allow

It works!
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to William Lu

by Max Linzmeier -

Thank you so much!

by ryan sanders -

and a different way of going about things...

"meta courses"  you need to turn it on in the "site admin menu" some place within it.   and you can setup a few actual courses, and then setup a meta course. and set direction of "inheritance"  other words all folks enrolled in regular course, will auto be enrolled in the meta course as well.  and this meta course would be a "shared" course for generic stuff. 
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Kathryn Davis -

Here's another option...We use the global glossary with definitions for info distribution and attachments for resource distribution. A global glossary has entries which are linked to from throughout the site, rather than only in the course that the glossary is in.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)