Network plans (MPM & CPM) in moodle

Re: Network plans (MPM & CPM) in moodle

by ryan sanders -
Number of replies: 0

my bad, i thought you were wanting to create a course. vs actually creating an activity that went through it.

network path solving. *arghs*  would a math or calculus plugin for moodle be what you are wanting then?   i would imagine you would want "irritation / looping" ability, along with "if / then / else" to solve a multi node network path. were answer may need to be filled in at 1 or multi locations and working from different directions within the networking path. 

i looked into it a long time ago. for creating a variable network paths solver. but was to big of a project, for given project at time, for what i was working on at that time.  the issue came down to to much up front work. for little bit of time it would take to solve things by hand writing information out.

you might look at electricity -> circuits,   or fluid / gas piping software / networking solving software (( to figure out size of resisters, size of wiring, pipe size, pump size, valve size, etc...)) to see how they setup various "nodes" within the network. 

there is a few network pathing equations out there. a couple tend better to hand writing stuff out on a sheet of paper and some others are better geared towards "solving via computer code" wikipedia.org if memory serves offered most of them. a few +6 years back. but i had to dig for them at the time. 

be careful with "javascript" once you get past a certain decimal placement, i want to say 15 digits for some reason maybe 30 digits. and you will start getting different results back.  and the need to "round" is required.   if you handle solving via php, it is a slightly different story, but still would suggest adding "round to X decimal place" every time you do something like...

1. this = ERRORS
    1. myvar = 1 / 1000 / 32.23; 
  2. you want to round above before assigning to variable. = GOOD
  1. myvar = round(1 / 1000 / 32.23, 10);
doing something like below = ERRORS as well
  1. myvar = 1 / 1000 / 32.23;
  2. myvar = round(myvar, 10);
it is were and how rounding is done, and how it effects the final result.  the only way i found to accurately predict rounding results, is 2.1 from above. it all comes back to "floating point" and how different operating systems, to cpu in each computer, smartphone, browser, etc.. handles decimal places and using floating point to calculate things.  and needing to set a lower decimal placement via rounding. 

it gets a lot more complex if you want a very long digits / numbers +/- the decimal. i would say try and keep numbers within 12 to 15 digits

• 123456789012345  = 15 digits  and an optional decimal in there some place. if ya took time and researched everything, i would imagine you could bump the 15 digits up to say 30 digits or maybe even higher. but i would still be cautious, and some answers may come back as "wrong" even though they are correct. ((extra blah blah... when thinking about zeros and ones, via computer code, when i say 15 vs 16 digits, the decimal = a digit in some software applications / hardware))

=====================

would like to answer your question better than above in saying use X plugin, but not familiar enough with moodle core plugins and/or third party plugins. and to that... network node / path solving... is rather complex set of equations as it is. it is not a simple 2+2 or A + 3 / C =?  were A = B + 1/2. the need to irritate through possible numbers, and re-solve equations, as guesses are initially made, to get correct answer, gets a bit problematic when coding.