"End of semester" question - unenroll but still allow students access?

"End of semester" question - unenroll but still allow students access?

by mark soliman -
Number of replies: 4

As I've mentioned in the subject, I'm finishing out the first semester of our online school and want to "unenroll" the current students from their first semester classes and enroll in a new semester's load... That said, I still want ALL the students to have access to content. Can't figure out how to do this. If I unenroll them, they lose access to the content and also lose their gradebook access. I must me missing something!

What's the best way to go about this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to mark soliman

Re: "End of semester" question - unenroll but still allow students access?

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Mark,

I only read about it, but never tried it. There was a suggestion in one of the Moodle forums to create a new role for students with view capability, but no editing capability. You can, for example, copy the student role, save it with a new name. Then search for edit capability within the role and set this line to "prevent" or "prohibit." Please have a look at the Moodle documentation for role assignments. 

Please, test your new role before you apply it to the real course. In your real course you would give the enrolled students a new role and then delete the "student" role for each student.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to mark soliman

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

A better option might be to make a new copy of the course for next year.

Back up the course without user-data, then restore it as a new course. Include the year somewhere in the course name.

Then, as Hartmut suggests, in the old course change the role to a 'Read-only student' role.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by mark soliman -

thanks guys for the ideas...

this might be a pretty basic question, but i cannot seem to find the permission first "read only student" in the admin>users>define roles menu... am i looking in the right spot?

also, if i do this option, doesn't the gradebook get deleted? is there a way to avoid losing that data?

In reply to mark soliman

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Mark,

You were looking in the right spot and you are correct, there is no role "read-only student." You need to create the role as mentioned in my previous post. When you are done, you should test the new role in a test course and see whether the grades are still there and what students can do with this new role (only view or also edit). 

As far as I understand roles, changing the capability of a role of a user only affects what the user can do in the future and has no effect on past grades. Of course if you allow a user to edit past activities, the gradebook will change as well. But a change of the role will not change the gradebook entries for a user.

With kind regards,

Hartmut