Bulk Unenroll?

Bulk Unenroll?

by Dan Hudkins -
Number of replies: 3

Teacher has a forum in which he starts several threads and the student chooses which to respond to.

Students self-enroll in the course.

I would like to delete the student's responses while leaving the teacher's initial posts.

I realize this is not the design intention of the forum, but an interesting use nevertheless.

I presume resetting the course would delete the teacher "thread starters" while leaving the prompts. Would deleting the students remove their work? Any other way that I could accomplish this objective?

Thanks,

Dan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Hudkins

Re: Bulk Unenroll?

by dawn alderson -

Dan, hi

please may I ask you: why?

Dawn

In reply to dawn alderson

by Dan Hudkins -

Certainly. My have an English teacher who uses the forum in an interesting and unusual way.

He creates a prompt describing an activity and then starts eight to ten fairly long thread starters. Students are asked to choose to respond to their choice among the prompts.

A reset clears all user work - including the teacher's "starters." I'm trying to figure out some way to delete the student's work (for a new semester) while avoiding the teacher having to copy and paste all the "starters" to another medium, reset the course and paste the "starters" back in.

Alternative solutions to the larger problem are welcome.

In reply to Dan Hudkins

by Paula Clough -

Dan,

Here's an idea. 

Copy out all the posts(either as documents or html), reset the course, then set up the forum the way the instructor likes it, putting back in all the posts.  Now before any students are enrolled, go inside the forum and back it up from the forum administration area of the administration block including all user data.  Save this backup file hidden in the course for later use.  (I would recommend putting it in a hidden topic so it will be orphaned and not as easily deleted by the instructor.)  Then the next time you reset the course, delete the used forum which no longer has the instructors posts and restore your saved backup file of this forum.  This will put back in all the instructor's wonderful posts fairly quickly.  Depending on how many there are in the course it may take a little time, but less than redoing all the posts if they have to be put back in each time.  If there are quite a few of these forums, you might want to do a whole course backup, choosing only the forums, so that they can all be restored all at once instead of one at a time.

smile