Sum of Grades in Gradebook / Updating Percentage Totals

Sum of Grades in Gradebook / Updating Percentage Totals

by Nic Ruley -
Number of replies: 1

This is probably very easy, but I'm missing the vocabulary to do the best possible search.

Running Moodle 2.8.2

I have a course that is set to Sum of Grades and there are 100 possible points in the class. In the early part of the semester, students freak out when they see that their grade is a 5 / 100, even if only 5 possible points have been assigned / graded.

Is there a way for the percentage to only reflect the assignments that have been graded? Or is there a way for the total to only show the maximum possible points?

For example, there are 100 possible points, but only 5 points have been graded and the student received 4 / 5. The course total would show 4 / 5 as opposed to 4 / 100. It would update the new totals as more assignments were graded.

Hoping this is just a checkbox I'm missing.

In reply to Nic Ruley

Re: Sum of Grades in Gradebook / Updating Percentage Totals

by sean mcclelland -

Hi Nic. I don't know if you can do it exactly like you want... but try this:

On the Categories and Items tab, open the settings page (click the gear icon) for your main category and make sure the "Aggregate only non-empty grades" option is checked. 

Then, on the Settings tab of the gradebook, in the User Report section, you can control exactly what students see (or don't see) in their report.

To verify, choose "User Report" from the drop-down menu in the top-left of your gradebook, then select a student's name... and you can see exactly what they see.

Others may have better suggestions, but this is how we normally do it. Good luck!