TeX debug issue

TeX debug issue

by Chris Martin -
Number of replies: 8

This program cannot be run in DOS mode. Image not found!

Apache on Windows 2003.  PERL is installed to default MSI location.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Martin

Re: TeX debug issue

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
thoughtful

Chris,

Can you give a bit more information... what version of Moodle etc. Where do you see this message, what are you trying to do, etc?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Chris Martin -

Sorry..... should have included that the first time..

1.5.2 Moodle, on Windows 2003, with latest Activestate Perl installed, Apache web.  Trying to run "Show Image" in the texdebug file.

In reply to Chris Martin

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
First of all the TeX filter (and the debugger as well) do not depend on Perl in any way, only on the mimetex.exe executable. The algebra filter depends on Perl as well as mimetex.exe. So first you need to get the TeX filter working.

First of all are you sure that you are running texdebug.php not algebradebug.php?

And you are getting the error message "This program cannot be run in DOS mode", when you click on the Show Image button?

What happens if you open up a command window on your server, navigate to the folder containing mimetex.exe, and then manually run mimetex.exe in the command window?  You shoud get an ascii test pattern in response.  If you get the above error message instead, then the likely cause is that you have a corrupt mimetex.exe, e.g. from transferring the file by ftp in text mode instead of binary mode.

The TeX debugger will also display the size of the mimetex.exe and an md5 checksum of the file.  What values are displayed?

In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Chris Martin -

I do get the same message so I will need to go find a new version of mimtex.exe

In reply to Chris Martin

See my other post in this thread.  This might be due to a security setting in your Windows 2003 server which only allows administrators to run DOS style programs.
In reply to Chris Martin

Here is another thought. Perhaps the following post and its followups are relevant:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=6446&parent=30915
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Chris Martin -
Shouldn't apply as I'm not using IIS but Apache to run Moodle.....