Video recording equipment???

Video recording equipment???

by Richard Palmer -
Number of replies: 14

Hello all

I would like to produce some short videos using the technique/method illustrated in the following video by Derek Owens:

Could someone please provide me with details of the type and range of equipment i.e. professional and state of the art equipment, required to do similarly. My intention is to produce videos for publication to our College's Moodle platform, not to Youtube.

Any information and advice would be most welcome. The more detailed the better. Unfortunately, the author of the above video is not very forthcoming with the information I require.

Many thanks Rick  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Palmer

Re: Video recording equipment???

by ryan sanders -

many, many, many,... many ways of going about achieving above...

screen capture software, would be first thought that comes to mind.  what ever you see on your computer screen, it records it like a video, with optional audio as well.  other words instead of a physical video camera setting beside you recording what you see on the screen. it is just a software you install with play,record, pause, stop buttons that show up on your screen, and no actual need for a video camera. 

touch screen monitors for some might be easier, vs trying to draw with a mouse,  some might use a "beh" tablet/pen combo *forget better term for them* instead of a mouse. 

i would imagine there is software directly marketed to teachers.  but if you can use "paint" that comes with every windows computer from 15 years ago to now... (mac's have like program), and screen capture that could work as well. 

many web conferencing packages have some sort of annotation, / notation / markup.  or some sort of drawing program in them as well. 

================

computer screen resolution, and screen capture resolution, physical area you have to draw in / make notes in. can be dealt with. but ya need to know how to adjust settings both in microsoft windows, and what ever software you are using.  along with what resolution you record at.   can make a huge difference. and how things work and feel and getting stuff done.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to ryan sanders

by john Simpson -

All the required software i free and open source. But you will need to purchase a tablet( a moiuse is possible but clumsy). Try kolorpaint. http://kolourpaint.sourceforge.net/ Bucket paint the whole screen black, and paint or draw with different lighter colours, using the tools provided.

There are many free open source desktop recorder to record your errr desktop with audio. Recordmydesktop is the best.

You might also want to consider a video editor. Openshot is pretty good and it's also free and open source. http://www.openshot.org/

If you are using moodle, you might as well stick with your open source brothers and sisters, and that includes Linux and Libre office, with libreoffice impress, you don't need Powerpoint.

In reply to john Simpson

by john Simpson -

You can learn absolutely anything on youtube, and they are not all trying to sell you something.

Here are your answers, and the blackboard answer is four years old. I also added another recent one, because it is moodle , with its internal partner plugin Poodl.

In reply to ryan sanders

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Ryan, I think the tablet/pen combo you are trying to remember is, digitizer tablet. I still have three or four squirreled away somewhere...no longer supported by current operating systems and connectors. sad

I have used all the methods mentioned so far today but my current setup is my favorite. I use a MS Surface Pro 2 tablet which allows me to use ALL the same software on it, as on my desktop computer. Since it comes with a pen for input, you are drawing directly on it's screen, instead of a pad while watching a monitor. I use a bluetooth wireless noise canceling headset with it for recording audio, which cuts down on sound level variation caused by me moving my head around while reading script/notes on my desktop computer.

The main advantage is my setup now is totally portable so instead of being stuck in front of my desktop computer for hours and hours, I can go anywhere in the house or even out on the patio and keep the dog company. When I get tired of work, Netflix and Drama Fever are just a click or two away. big grin

In reply to AL Rachels

by ryan sanders -

the "MS Surface Pro 2 tablet" does the character recognition when "drawing / writing with finger or pen"  reliable?  without having to answer a bunch of questions / fix mistakes?

is the on screen display of a keyboard use-able? 

are hand gestures worth while? or still need a mouse for some things?  same question but needing an actual physical keyboard?

nice hit on the bluetooth head set... if tablet or computer has a usb port. but no blue tooth you can pick up a cheap usb to bluetooth adapter from www.newegg.com  had to grab a few to dell with cell phones over the years.

In reply to ryan sanders

by john Simpson -

A wacom bamboo has done me well for years, and is more than adequite as to what was demontrated on the first post. It doesn't cost much. Just plug it into any usb on any standard computer or laptop and it will work. Linux or windows.

http://www.wacom.eu/index4.asp?pid=9240

In reply to ryan sanders

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Ryan,

Yes, the MS Surface Pro 2 does a good job on character recognition. Does better with the pen than with the finger for me simply because my finger doesn't glide on the screen as well as the pen does. Having said that, when I make these types of videos I don't use character recognition. If I want the writing to look that good I use pre-made slide shows.

The screen displayed keyboard is very usable. I have often laid the tablet flat on a table and typed normally on it, but it does take a little practice to learn to hover your fingers instead of resting on the keys the way I learned to type. I hunt and peck type only when the tablet is standing up. I do have two keyboards and very seldom use them because the on-screen keyboard does work so well.

Yes, the Surface Pro has a full size USB port and since all three of my bluetooth headsets come with their own adapter, I don't have to do any pairing...just plug in the adapter and and it works.

The combination of being able to run any of my desktop software, the full size USB port that lets me plug in anything, and being able to add more memory via a fingernail sized micro memory card makes the Surface Pro worth the extra cost compared to other tablets. I seldom ever turn my other four tablets on except to make sure things in Moodle work the way I expect them to for my students.

HTH,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Richard Palmer -

Hello AL

Which software do you use for screen-capture please?

R

by AL Rachels -

Hi Richard,

Over the years I have tried anything and everything that I could get my hands on that would work with Windows. I mostly used Camtasia for a few years but got tired of spending money every year or two for another "upgrade" so I quit back at version 5. They do offer a trial version plus a couple of other versions with different capabilities.

My Camtasia version 5 still works, but generally I use CamStudio 2.7.2 now. When I record from my desktop or tablet, I have it set to capture a fixed region of the screen so that I can have items preloaded just off screen, that I can grab as needed, and drag them onscreen.

HTH,

AL

by john Simpson -

You say you would like to produce video for publication to your College moodle. It might be simpler to upload your video to youtube, and then paste your link to moodle. Unless someone's got a better idea.

In reply to john Simpson

by Richard Palmer -

Hello John

Many thanks for the information. This may be a very dumb question but Is it possible to keep the videos you upload to youtube, private and still embed or paste the link to Moodle?

R

by john Simpson -
yes, You can set the video setting to private on you tube.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/157177?hl=en-GB

In reply to john Simpson

by john Simpson -

For recording your desktop. in your case using any draw and paint software you wish as there are many,

I recomended using recordmydesktop, but this is for Linux only, if you are a windows user, then use Camstudio, again free and open source. Yes it's true, a windows only software that's open source. http://camstudio.org/

by Richard Palmer -

Many thanks each and all for the excellent response to my post. I am currently investigating some of the options.

Many thanks!