Section owners: Proposed solution to limiting editing rights to individual sections

This forum post has been removed

Number of replies: 10
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Section owners: Proposed solution to limiting editing rights to individual sections

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

That would be very useful for big structures with courses used by several teachers smile

And it seems well designed.

If integrated in Moodle, there should be a general setting to enable this feature (disabled by default).

Séverin

In reply to Séverin Terrier

Re: Section owners: Proposed solution to limiting editing rights to individual sections

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mark. I agree with Séverin; we often have people on these forums asking how to do this and it;s currently not possible so I think it would be popular.

In reply to Deleted user

by Itamar Tzadok -

Mark, maybe a course format plugin could reduce core changes significantly or even eliminate them. Have you considered such approach? smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

In reply to Deleted user

by ryan sanders -
i am interested in the code.  do you have a  moodle version from say www.github.com/moodle/moodle. that i could compare against, with your code changes? 

with code dealing with...  going to course and then click => "turn on editing".   it would seem there are a lot of files outside of "course formats" plugin manager. that need file edits.   and "course formats" acting more of a "theme" more than anything else.   

i remember seeing some key functions in different classes in different files. that would need to be dealt with and i am assuming reason for the large core edits? (good old file compare is what i am interested in so i can see the code myself)

In reply to ryan sanders

In reply to Deleted user

by ryan sanders -

fully understand about all the edits!  was wanting to do something with sections as well for "commerce" thing for moodle i been trying to get going. 

i was hoping to find a "hook" or plugin manager, or class or function i could slip a little extra code into. but sadly :/  just looking at activities / resources types that come with moodle. let alone third parties :/  only thing i have not looked at is www.yoursite.com/moodle/local  and seeing about overriding a class / function that way. but that does not even look like an option due to code ya need to do a permission check on is in everything :/  

wish there was a bit more on the core side of things... would make it easier to add a lot of additional functionality. 

sent ya a PM/message

In reply to Deleted user

In reply to Deleted user

by ryan sanders -

there is to many options of ways you can handle your plugin....

take it by the horns and put all on moodle.

• give them info about "core edits"
  • might suggest optional fixes for core edits, of third party plugins. (either you or someone else could create a "issue" in tracker, say "new feature" and add some code. within your tracker -> contrib -> Section Owners  and keep it all nice and in one spot.  
  • i am not sure how moodle team does the "testing" for third party stuff. and for that info, it would seem you do need a "tracker issue" 
www.github.com for a repository of code
moodle.org/mod/forum -> general plugins (create a thread)
docs.moodle.org -> need to edit something in sandbox first, to add documentation 
docs.moodle.org/dev  ((a different documentation)) edit something in the sandbox within the "dev" to raise privileges again, if you want to give some detail about how to integrate your plugin with other third party plugins. or if you go with tracker contrib above. make an issue in it for how to integrate with third party plugins. 

=====================

it all comes down to choice... as much info on moodle... or split information and place on your local university website and/or third party website. if going min amount on moodle. you might be able to skip a lot of the above. and go straight to... https://moodle.org/plugins/ => register your new plugin here ,

=====================

and no i didn't answer your question. going to say wait a couple days, or create a new tracker... and figure out how you want to handle things. 

In reply to ryan sanders

by Chris Chapman -

Great presentation on wednesday! is it on the tracker yet? and I'm imagining this works with the grid format...

so many uses for this feature.. 

planning on using it for 'subject librarians' and students and of course those awkward staff!