Admin page unavailable after upgrade 2.8.1

Admin page unavailable after upgrade 2.8.1

by David Bennett -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all,

I am upgrading 2.3.1 to 2.8.1 and have a clean 2.8.1 install on new virtual server instance (LAMP). Having backup up the db and copied it over to the new db, the upgrade process worked with a few hitches.

I had to adjusts columns in mdl_user from "" to null and delete a load of duplicate tables. During that process, I would move from the start page to the /admin page, continue the upgrade, fix the SQL problem, then reload the admin page to find the next SQL problem. Not great and never had to do it before but OK.

Now the start page is accessible but /admin and /login/index.php are giving me "webpage not available".

I'd really appreciate knowing two things: why is that? what can I do about it?

At a pinch I'd be happy with the answer to the latter question smile

Cheers!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Bennett

Re: Admin page unavailable after upgrade 2.8.1

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You should not ever have to be fixing up SQL tables. Personally, I would restore the original version and upgrade through each major version of Moodle (2.4, 2.5 etc.) until you figure out where it went wrong.

For the not available problem, you want to turn on Debugging (you'll need to do it in the config.php file) and see what the underlying problem is. My guess is that your db is in a mess though. 

In reply to Howard Miller

Svar: Re: Admin page unavailable after upgrade 2.8.1

by David Bennett -

Thanks for the quick answer Howard. I was thinking (while hoping I was wrong) that it would be something like that. Let me check

Re: Admin page unavailable after upgrade 2.8.1

by Richard Price -

v quickly, I think that you have uploaded it into a database that has tables present already (duplicate tables). I have no idea what state doing that would leave you in.

Is there a chance that you had started to run the install process after setting up 2.8.1, thus establishing and populating part of the database before restoring the original database into to it? 

hth

In reply to Richard Price

by David Bennett -

Hi Richard,

I think that's exactly what happened. Would a solution then be to nuke the current db and start again? Although without stepping through the major versions?

Thanks!

by David Bennett -

In case anyone comes across this thread and feels like chipping in...

The 2.8.1 db got dropped  and the 2.3 installed in it's place. Moodle updated the db with only complaints about values of null where it should be '' in mdl_user.

No duplicate tables so no probs with that. But the end result is the same - admin, login, everything that requires login is unavailable.

Would stepping up through the major versions fix whatever's wrong? Is there anything else that can be done to migrate the data?

Thank you!