Course listing style on frontpage vs /course/index?

Course listing style on frontpage vs /course/index?

per Lee Mulvogue,
Number of replies: 2

I'm attempting to make some additions to the way course listings display, but need to first homogenise the way they display on all listing methods.

As an Admin, when I log in I see all courses listed on my frontpage, as a styled list with the course title, summary, and summary file (course image).  When a student logs in they see this style, but only for the courses they are currently enrolled in, with a title of "My Courses".

frontpage course listing with images and summary

Under this, there is a text link to "All Courses", which leads to a page with a choice between "Active" and "Inactive".  I would like the subsequent pages to show up as per the frontpage style, but cannot figure out where the differences come in and where they are specified?

Course list, Active.  No summary or images

I'm using the Essential theme, reworked/rearranged with additional CSS and JQuery redeployments.

A slightly bizarre thing is that the "Active" and "Inactive" course listings show up differently, Inactive showing up similar to frontpage (but lacking the styles / rearrangement), whereas Active only shows up as a text list of titles, sans summary and summary files, but with an "info" icon added.

Course listing, Inactive.  Contains summary and images

Any thoughts on where I should be looking to homogenise these, so all views show the Summary and summary file?

Average of ratings  -
In reply to Lee Mulvogue

Re: Course listing style on frontpage vs /course/index?

per Gareth J Barnard,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers

This should get you started: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/blob/master/renderers/core_course_renderer.php - I'm sorry, but very busy, so cannot explain in depth.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Course listing style on frontpage vs /course/index?

per Lee Mulvogue,

Thanks Gareth, but after much searching around and realising that our "Active" and "Inactive" are Categories rather than inbuilt Moodle methods, I've eventually figured out that the lack of Summary and different rendering comes from the "Courses with summaries limit"; when viewing in Categories, if you have more than a prescribed number of courses then it reverts to a simplified display.  Bump up the figure, and hey-presto!

That said, I just realised that you are primarily pointing me to where is a good place to make the changes for enacting the self-nomination icon.  Thanks, now that I've got the other bit sorted I can start looking into the meat of this one.