Group Submission - require students to click submit button

Group Submission - require students to click submit button

by Tania L -
Number of replies: 1

Hi,

We're using Moodle 2.7.  I am testing out the Group Submissions feature in Assignment dropbox.

I am a newbie when it comes to group submissions feature and am not sure if this road block is by design or if I just haven't set something up properly and would appreciate any suggestions from the user community, please. 

Description:  

Basically, I like the "require students to click submit button". It is a useful feature as it helps the instructor when grading so that they can be sure that they are grading the same document that was originally submitted by student and not a different version. I wondered if this same "locking" capability is available automatically with this "Group Submissions" feature? 

I know you can go to Assignment dropbox gradebook, click Edit and Prevent Submissions, but this would be a very manual process for teacher do use for each group. As a pose to the automatic "locking" when require student to click submit button is used normally, without groups.

My rationale is that by applying this to the group submission feature, that the team member can finalize their submission and not change their answer after someone else has submitted their answer. I realize this wouldn't apply to all team submission buttons and certainly the instructor would want to have control to undo a student's final submission in rare cases (if a technical glitch for instance).   

I guess an alternative for what I am looking for is a way to track more accountability for who in team submitted and what their submission was... sort of like in wiki when you're allowed to track changes and see which student made which change....

To recreate my steps:

(see attached screenshot)

1)  Setup a group and grouping to course (via Administration > User > Groups) mine is called collaborative grouping 1

2)  Add a Assignment to course page from  Add Activity or Resource menu

3) in Assignment setup, enter title and description

4) In Submission Settings:

-  Require students click Submit Button = Yes

- Require students accept the submission statement = No

- attempts reopened = No

5) In Group Submission Settings:

- Students submit in groups = Yes

- Require all group members submit  = Yes

-  Grouping for student groups = "collaborative grouping 1"

Thank you for your ideas and brainstorming!
Attachment groupsubmission_require_to_click_submit_bttn.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tania L

Re: Group Submission - require students to click submit button

by Tania L -

Let's say for the group I have:

• Student A
  • Student B

I expect that with these settings, Student A will be able to submit and when Student A clicks Submit button, this will stop him/her from edit submission, and that all he/she can see is the grading status is "DRAFT: waiting for Student B to submit".

BUT
the problem is that , when I checked, this is not the case. Instead, when signed in as Student A, I can still see the Edit Submission button.

What am I setting up wrong?