Passwords for manual accounts seem to be lost

Passwords for manual accounts seem to be lost

by Ulrike Albers -
Number of replies: 4

Hallo everybody,

We just upgraded Moodle (from 2.5.2 to 2.8.1+) and put it on a new server. Everything went well, but passwords for manual accounts don't work. Using the 'rest password' link, users can log in again though. LDAP authentification does work fine.

On a test platform everything was ok, so that's strange... the only difference being that in the test, the platform wasn't put in maintenance mode.

Could anyone help ? Thank you very much for your ideas !

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ulrike Albers

Re: Passwords for manual accounts seem to be lost

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

So the only logins/accounts that were affected in one migration to new server was manual accounts?

You've not mentioned how the migration was done, but sounds like there's a password salt line from config.php file of the old site, now missing on the config.php file of the new site.  Password salt doesn't affect other authentications just accounts that would be stored (completely ... including password) in the tables of the Moodle DB.  That's a guess.

If you have a tool for browsing MySQL, check out the mdl_user table for rows whose authentication method is set to manual.   You should see the password field/column is populated, but what you might be looking at is an MD5 hashed password (not the actual password).

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Ulrike Albers -

Hello Ken,

Yes, you are right! The scientist just told me that that was the problem - thank you very much for your help smile!

Here is a link 'salt' setting in the config.php for those who find this post.

Cheers,

Ulrike

In reply to Ulrike Albers

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Howard Miller

by Ulrike Albers -

Hello - yes I'm sorry - he told me he wouldn' do it again wink