Forum

Moodle 2.7 Advanced Forum ~ Student Complete Report Issue

Picture of Juan F
Moodle 2.7 Advanced Forum ~ Student Complete Report Issue

Greetings folks,

We recently upgraded from Moodle 2.6 to 2.7 and the Advanced Discussion Forums have changed (not for the better in my opinion).  When I check to see who has done what in the course, I run the Complete Report for a student.  This is what we used to see:

After the upgrade, we now see this:

Is there any way to change the 360 days to a specific date?  We take attendance based on this report and now we'll be working 10x's longer to check attendance.

Thanks, Chris

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Juan F
Re: Moodle 2.7 Advanced Forum ~ Student Complete Report Issue

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?  We really are struggling to take attendance counting days back instead of seeing the actual date.

Thanks, Chris

ME
Core developers

Chris,

What version of advanced forums are you using? Moodlerooms has updated the forum ui to work more like other communication and social interaction systems on the Internet. Learners find it more understandable to see the number of days or month since a post was made rather than a specific date and having to do the math to determine how old the post is. 

I get that this has caused an issue for teachers. We are looking into changes here, but for the time being your teachers can export the forum posts to csv which has the exact date of the post. To do this you elect sport under forum administration in the administration block.

Picture of Juan F

Jason, exporting works flawlessly.  Thank you for chiming in!  I'm not sure which version of advanced forums we are using (how can I tell?) but we are using Joule 2.7 (Build: 20141229) which seems to be a pain in the behind. Thank you again!

Picture of Ben Johnson

I think the relative time is great, but some of my faculty showed up with pitchforks over this change! They would really like the ability to include both the relative time and absolute timestamp for each post.

I'm so glad the timestamp is marked up with <time> microformat. I was able to use greasemonkey/tampermonkey to write the datetime to the page. 

My greasemonkey/tampermonkey script is here: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/454e78d1dbd47aeb81c4

Tampermonkey result

Picture of Juan F

This is great, however, we don't have access to the server...we're allowing MoodleRooms to host everything.  They won't allow us access to it and they are VERY reluctant to add code they did not write.  Great!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Ben Johnson

We're also a  Moodlerooms customer.

The beauty of this script is that it can't be installed on the server. It runs client-side, in the browser, using greasemonkey or tampermonkey.

Tampermonkey and Greasemonkey are both tools to insert user defined javascript into a page within your browser.  This is entirely client-side (and per browser profile). Tampermonkey is for Google Chrome, Greasemonkey is for Mozilla FIrefox.  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/  https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tampermonkey/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo?hl=en

We're pushing our faculty to use Chrome, so I've tested mostly with tampermonkey. Here's instructions for installing a script into tampermonkey. http://tampermonkey.net/faq.php#Q102

I've installed it for several of my instructors and they're happy enough for now, but it would be nice if there was an option to enable absolute datestamps in the Advanced Forum activity without resorting to modifying the page in the browser after load.

Anyway, it never hurts to submit an enhancement request via the support portal so they're aware this is a need.

Picture of Elizabeth Blankenship

This change to relative time is increasing the workload for our faculty; the mouse-over is helpful, as is the export command, but both create more time-consuming tasks for what seems to me a modest at best benefit to students. I'd suggest reversing the mouse-over to show students relative time if they desire to see it.

We need the fixed time and date to assess forum assignments, as well as to respond to requests for data for such things as federal student aid last-date-of-attendance records.

English courses are writing intensive, and forums are wonderful tools for creating short, low-stakes writing assignments, but with the budget-driven trend toward higher enrollments in composition and literature courses, this additional roadblock to efficient grading is just another burden teachers don't need.

Picture of A Crisp

Hi Jason -

I'd like to chime in here about the ui changes to the forums (we are hosted by MoodleRooms). Unfortunately, as faculty and administrators, we are required to document actual time stamps of student activities in their online classes in order to comply with auditors and more especially w/ regulations from Financial Aid folks to document attendance (i.e. "activities" - never "views") and "LDA's" last date of attendance. These dates could constitute financial pay backs from students and are very critical for our documentation. While we beg faculty to NOT use the forums for these purposes, sometimes, it's all we have to document activity for the student.  AND, we have to keep this information for at least 2 years - so the new log files (sorry, jumping to another problem of the 2.7 release), that don't show the YEAR any longer - are also going to be a problem.

I'm not sure who is making the "assumption" that our courses need to be more "social" in nature, but, the truth is that some of these reporting pieces have nothing to do w/ being social. The Feds are big on Financial Aid fraud in online classes, and we are being asked to document in every direction. The new advanced forums are causing a lot of gnashing of teeth here and while I appreciate the csv download, I can only hope the auditors are willing to take some spreadsheet instead of the actual documentation from Moodle that we've given them in the past. Needless to say, we are hoping the programmers will help us get back to the documentation we need.

Just my 2 cents.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of A Crisp

So, thanks for listening! The MoodleRooms 2.7 Maintenance Pack 1 (2/5/15) fixed the date issue in Advanced Forums. You can now hover over the "x days ago" and see the actual time and date stamp, or clearly view the dates from the Joule Grader. Thank you, thank you!

Picture of Elizabeth Blankenship

I can't agree with calling that a fix. It's still another step required for teachers, and imagine doing it for 35 student posts x 4 sections of a course to get an idea of how a seemingly minor gesture can add up to a real problem. Change the order, and let students mouse over to see relative time. It's unlikely every student will want to do so for each possible post in a forum, and certainly none will have to do so over a number of classes.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)