Reformatting 'multiple choice - multiple answers' responses in Excel

Reformatting 'multiple choice - multiple answers' responses in Excel

by Jennie Lillis -
Number of replies: 2

I wonder if anyone can help with an issue which has been frustrating me for a while?  We use feedback in Moodle often.  When response data is exported to Excel the 'multiple choice - multiple answers' questions amalgamate each respondent's responses to that question in one cell in Excel.  This makes data analysis difficult. 

I'd like to separate the individual answers into separate cells which I could do if I could see what Moodle inserts to separate those answers.  There must be something as, when double clicked, the cell formats the answers as if there were a hard line return between each of them.  However this is not a hard line return as I have tried a 'find and replace' to look for any hard line returns and it brings back a null return.

Does anyone know how Moodle formats this output for Excel?

Alternatively, has anyone found a different solution to this dilemma?  I have resorted in the past to separating each option into its own 'multiple choice - single answer' question which works, but is inefficient for the respondent.

I'm using Moodle 2.7.1.  Any suggestions welcome!

Jennie

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jennie Lillis

Re: Reformatting 'multiple choice - multiple answers' responses in Excel

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Jennie,

Sorry I don't know the answer to your exact question, but I struggled with the same problem a couple of years ago and gave up. Someone else may be able to supply the right answer, but what I did was switch to using the Questionnaire activity. Essentially, any item you could put in Feedback could also be done in the Questionnaire addon. Questionnaire lets you download everything in CSV format which makes is so easy to do want you are wanting to do in Excel.

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

Re: Reformatting 'multiple choice - multiple answers' responses in Excel

by Jennie Lillis -

Ooh, thank you - I'll have a look at the Questionnaire plugin!

Jennie