Removing General News area

Removing General News area

by trevor ettenborough -
Number of replies: 2
I have an instructor who would like to not have the general news section (at the top of the weeks) in her weekly course. I cannot figure how to make it not show...

We are running Moodle 1.0.6.3 and viewing the pages with IE 5.x.

When I remove everything from the general news area, I expected the box to go away. I am a little nervous about deleting the news forum.

What am I missing?

By the way, the instructor is very pleased with Moodle. We had looked at Blackboard, but Moodle is a better fit with the scale of what we are doing (and the price is better! smile)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to trevor ettenborough

Re: Removing General News area

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Ah, an easy one!

The general area is not shown when it has no summary and there are no items in it (and you are not in editing mode).

If you don't need a news forum in this course, just go into Course Settings and set the number of displayed news items to zero, then delete everything from the general area, including the news forum. Setting the news items to zero will mean that Moodle won't try to create a new News forum later on.

If you still want a course news forum, then you'll have to move it down and out of that box to another week (eg week 1).
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Removing General News area

by trevor ettenborough -
Thanks, that worked!

I'd done everything but set the news forum to 0 - it kept recreating the forum, but I never made the connection.

Thanks for the quick response.

Trevor