two "answers" in one short-answer question...

two "answers" in one short-answer question...

by . madea -
Number of replies: 9

Hey moodlers...

I am using moodle v2.5.1 and am waiting to get upgraded to 2.6 or 2.7...

In the meantime, there has been discussion in the moodle-sphere about short-answer questions that contain two or three independent answers.  If I were writing this in gift format it would be:

The purpose of the system is to {=optimize} the site in {=real time}.

or something similar... 

I'm looking for optimize in the first position and real time (or its variant spelling) in the second position.

Is that type of short-answer question available yet?

Thanks!

madea

Average of ratings: -
In reply to . madea

Re: two "answers" in one short-answer question...

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This is not possible with the short-answer question type.

You could do it using the Cloze question type: https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Embedded_Answers_(Cloze)_question_type

In reply to Tim Hunt

by . madea -

Thanks for the quick reply, Tim...

So, I examine the Cloze question type but it doesn't seem to allow two short-answers either, just one....

madea

In reply to . madea

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The Cloze question type allows the embedding of multiple short answer question types within a single question. This is why it is referred to in the documentation as the Embedded answers (Cloze) question type. Could you explain your requirements further as I suspect there may be a misunderstanding of what you want.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by . madea -

Thanks for the quick reply, Tim...

So, I examine the Cloze question type but it doesn't seem to allow two short-answers either, just one....

I'm trying to create a question with two short answers.  In my example, the bolded words are what I'm trying to achieve:

Put first things first and second things second.

Can I, indeed, embed two short answers in a Cloze-type question?  If so, I will continue to research the answer.  Please advise if it is possible or not.

Thanks!

madea

In reply to . madea

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You can have as many as you like.

Your code would look something like this:

Put {1:SHORTANSWER:=first} things first and {1:SHORTANSWER:=second} things second.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by . madea -

Tim, Marcus, Emma!

Thanks for your help in this matter of two embedded short answers.

Tim you suggested using Cloze and Emma you posted the code to solve my problem and your code just confirmed what I already had:

Put {1:SHORTANSWER:=first} things first and {1:SHORTANSWER:=second} things second.

But it still did not work! 

As it turns out, I was making a very rookie mistake.  I was importing the question in GIFT format and not Embedded Answers (Cloze) !!!!!   ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!

Sorry for taking up your time for my amateur oversight.  Everything is working well now...

Follow-up question though...

If I want each SHORTANSWER to be worth .5 instead of 1 point, can that be done?  I tried using .5 instead of the 1 in the format {1:SHORTANSWER:=FIRST} and it didn't work.

Thanks!

madea

In reply to . madea

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I think that will work in a more recent version of Moodle.

Until then, let each part be worth 1, so the whole question is worth 2. Then, after you have added the question to the quiz, change it so that the whole question is worth 1.

In reply to . madea

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

It could be that the question doesn't read .5 correctly.  You could always just make the whole question worth half the points (i.e. if you have ten answers, make the question worth five) and that should have the desired affect...I think...!!

In reply to Emma Richardson

by . madea -

Tim and Emma...

Thanks for your prompt replies... and solution/workaround... I'm good to go now... (just have to remember to import using the "Cloze" option and NOT the GIFT option! 

Thanks, again...

madea