Customizing Frontpage (List of categories)

Customizing Frontpage (List of categories)

by Erwin Ancheta -
Number of replies: 6

Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year!

I'm using Moodle 2.8.

Is it possible to filter the List of categories?

Like for example, if I have 5 categories, and I only want to show a specific category e.g. Category 1. Is this doable?

For reference, I have this set in my moodle front page settings. Please see screenshot.

Please help Guyssad

Thank you in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Erwin Ancheta

Re: Customizing Frontpage (List of categories)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Short answer - No.

The only workaround I can think of it's not to show any categories and then build the category list yourself in the topic section on the front page. You will need to work out what the URLs are of the categories you want to display and then format them yourself in the topic section. 

It's not very portable but the category urls are generally static so you should get away with it. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Howard is quite right, you cannot filter categories. There is an easy way to sort the front page though with a few tricks in the Front Page Settings page... 

1. Switch all options to "None" 

2. The checkbox "Include Topic Section" is checked. 

3. Save the changes. 

Return to the Front Page and turn editing on

The central panel should be empty, so select Add a Resource and add a label.

In the label you can place a table with images as shown in the link above, use your own images of course. If you don't want to use images, use text, but you need some visual cue to encourage new users to explore, and as prompts for existing users who know where they are going. 

To find the URLs, as Howard says, they are fixed, so before turning  them off go to each one, then copy the URL in the browser address bar. Paste it to a text file, or if you have created your Categories sequentially, then all you need do is to change the id number of each Category. Do not list any category you don't want publicly displayed. 

For me, text links are boring, images provide colour and can offer some excitement. The modern trend is toward corporate bland, a dreadfully tasteless set of grey images at best, you only have to look at the Atto toolbar to see what I mean. They may be functional but they are no fun. 

by Erwin Ancheta -

Hi Guys,

Brilliant! I'll take your advise and test it.

Will update you if I'll be stuck again smile

Thank you for the help!

Cheers,
Erwin

by Erwin Ancheta -

Hi Guys,

I'm back! smile

I've already tried what you've advised and it works! 

But, I need this category filtering on my Course page only. (not for the entire moodle home page)

Is it possible to filter my enrolled courses by specific category.

For example, If I have 5 categories and I only want to let the student view the category 1 and 3, is that doable?

I'm sorry about getting this complicated. This is part of having moodle on our side smile.

Thank you guys in advance!

Have a good day! 

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

You can't use the same trick on the sub-categories once you are away from the Front Page... mmm have to think about it. Menu block is one way but I have to test it and I am still in the process of rebuilding my server so it might be a while and won't do any of this sort of thing on my production servers... There might be a way, but it is convoluted, so it won't be simple, and I have to test it first. Unless someone else comes up with an idea.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Erwin Ancheta -

Hi Colin,

I really appreciate your help.

I'm looking forward on this.

Thank you for the efforts!

Kind Regards,
Erwin