Line spacing problems

Line spacing problems

Steve Hyndman -
Number of replies: 12

Hello Moodlers,

After upgrading to 1.5, I've been having problems with lines of text like in the image below. This seems to only happen when I increase the font size. I thought I saw something in the fourms about this a few weeks abo, but can't find it now..any ideas? Thanks.

Image of scrambled font

Steve

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Hyndman

Re: Line spacing problems

Janne Mikkonen -
Have you checked does css files have any line spacing definitions, that might cause this? Do/did you use IE or Mozilla/Firefox?
In reply to Janne Mikkonen

Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Steve,

Just wondering, perhaps the discussion you were thinking of was 1.5 Theme Wrap Problem?
In reply to Helen Foster

Steve Hyndman -

Yes, that's it...thanks a bunch Helen.

I am using the College 1.5 Theme from Ballisticlearning, but it didn't occur to me to seach for this in the threads. I'll have a look at the css in that theme to see if I can correct the problem. Thanks again.

Steve

Update: I changed the theme to a standard Moodle theme and still have the same problem...I believe that should rule out the College 1.5 theme css as the problem.

In reply to Janne Mikkonen

Steve Hyndman -

Janne,

I'm using IE (don't have firefox installed on my computer here at home), but I think it shows the same in both browsers. I'm using the College 1.5 Theme from http://www.ballisticlearning.biz/moodlethemes/ and after reading the thread provided by Helen below, I thought the problem may be in the css of that theme. While composing this reply to you though, it occured to me to just change the theme and see if this corrected the problem...it didn't. I changed to a standard moodle theme and even deleted the entry and retyped it, but got the same results. So, it seems it may not be the College 1.5 theme.

I'll install Firefox here to see if it shows differently in that browser.

Steve

Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Steve,

I've tried with standard Moodle Themes and failed to reproduce the problems you describe. thoughtful

It's possible that the reason why you have the same problem with a standard Moodle theme is because your browser is using a cached style sheet from the College 1.5 theme. If you haven't done so already, please could you try a forced refresh (Ctrl+F5).

Something else to try would be as I suggested to Darrren - adding the tags <p style="line-height: 20pt"> and </p> around the text.

PS Installing Firefox is a very good idea! approve
In reply to Helen Foster

Steve Hyndman -
You're right Helen....it was a caching problem. With a standard moodle theme it shows fine in both IE and Firefox, but with the College 1.5 Theme the lines overlap in both browsers. So, I'm back to it being a problem with the College 1.5 theme css.

Thanks for the great troubleshooting Helen...I'll check the site to see if they have already fixed this in the College 1.5 theme and, if not, I'll see if I can fix the css.

You're rigth...Firefox is excellent...I've installed it on all of our College computers...now if I could only get all my teachers and students to install it on their home computers smile

Steve

Helen Foster -
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your feedback. smile

Re. Firefox, I wish you could persuade my college to install it on all their computers. wink

Himmat Singh -
gomangoHi everyone. We've tried solving this problem using global css changes. No success yet. We'll keep trying and post a solution when we reach one. However there's a workaround...as I've seen other users use Big (sizes 5,6,7 fonts) as headings in Course Topic sections. They seem to use <p> spacing between all lines, <br> creates the same wrap problem....Which means that when you use big fonts for headings press Enter to break a line.

Himmat Singh -

Look at pic below. The big heading sans wrap problem was achieved by giving a paragraph <p> space after each line..after Himmat and after is.

<p> space solution