Moving Discussions Between Forums

Moving Discussions Between Forums

by Eric Magnuson -
Number of replies: 14

Is it possible to move a discussion topic from one forum to another?  The simple case is I create a topic in the Site News forum but later want to move that forum to an Old News forum.  Possible? 

I haven't found any way to admin discussion topics so I am doubtful this is possible.

Thanks

-e

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Magnuson

Re: Moving Discussions Between Forums

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Is it possible to move a discussion topic from one forum to another?

Sure !!
Just, logged as teacher, use the "Move this discussion to.." popup menu !!

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Eric Magnuson -

Please excuse me, I am a newbie.  I tried logging in as a teacher and am not  finding a "Move this discussion to..." link or pop-up menu.  I do see how to move a forum around a course, but this is not what I need to do.  I specifically want to move a discussion topic from one forum to another.

Thank you for your help and patience.

-e

by Eric Magnuson -

Duh!  I see the pull-down menu now.  Sorry about that.  Thanks!

-e

In reply to Eric Magnuson

by L. Vandijck -
I was looking for exactly this but just don't see it... What am I missing?
In reply to L. Vandijck

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
When you are logged in as a teacher and you are inside a discussion (not inside a forum), the menu to move the discussion is in the upper-right corner - see screenshot.
Attachment move_discussion.gif
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by L. Vandijck -

I have found the pull down menu now.

However, what strikes me as strange is that it is only available immediately after posting a reply to the discussion, and not when you simply enter an existing discussion thread. Actually, I don't see any menu to choose how to list the contributions to the discussion either (nested etc.) although I think I remember seeing them in thse forums on Moodle.org

Or am I missing it again??

In reply to L. Vandijck

Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Uh, oh.. sad

I think that you should see the menus (the "display format" one and the "move discussion to") always you are INSIDE a discussion, no matter you come from adding a post, creating an new discussion or accessing to one.

Could you send one example (screenshot) of your "missing" menus ?

Ciao smile

by L. Vandijck -
Here is a screenshot of accessing a forum quite normally: no display menu, no move discussion to option.
Attachment forum01.jpg

by L. Vandijck -
But after adding a message to the same discussion this is what I get:
Attachment forum02.jpg

by L. Vandijck -
And, believe it or not, after leaving the discussion and going back to it right away the menus have disappeared again. So I remain quite puzzled
In reply to L. Vandijck

Oh !!

After some testing I was able to reproduce your problem when I use an "single, simple discussion forum".

It seems to be a "bug" that toogles from showing menus to showing the subscription options.

I've seen that sometimes, the forum is called (in the url). Then you see the subscription options. Other times, the discussion is called (in the url). Then you see the menus.

I think that, in this type of forum, all the elements should be showed (the subscription options and the menus).

Can you confirm if this only occurs in this type of forum ?

If yes, could you send a bug to http://moodle.org/bugs with the description of the problem ?

Now I believe in you error !! smile

TIA and ciao, Eloy smile

by L. Vandijck -
You're right: the error does only occur in this type of forum. Changing the type eliminates it.
In reply to L. Vandijck

by Paolo Oprandi -
I am confused...  I moved some discussions from the teaching forum to the social forum.  I have no way of moving it back though.  I can't see any reference to type of forum.  Where is this, please?

Thanks a lot,
Paolo
In reply to Paolo Oprandi

by Simon Aspray -
I'm also finding this 'move discussion to' drop-down elusive in Moodle 1.5.3+ social forums. Couldn't find this in the buglist, but being a newbie I'm reluctant to report something so trivial!
Unlike the other reports, the drop-down does not appear with a new posting.
How do I change the type from 'single, simple forum' please?