TC: Due date for TC vs due dates for specific tasks

TC: Due date for TC vs due dates for specific tasks

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Today I ran into a problem after not remembering to update due dates on HotPot tasks that comprise my TaskChain activity. The calendar and all looked fine but the individual tasks blocked the students from attempting.. I wonder if some warnings could be put in place whenever task dates do not  match the overall TC event's date.

Or maybe once I have specific HotPot quizzes within a TC chain, there is no need for the date and time restrictions on the individual tasks?

Many thanks for any advice here.

Przemek

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

Re: TC: Due date for TC vs due dates for specific tasks

by Jeff Finnan -

<<<Or maybe once I have specific HotPot quizzes within a TC chain, there is no need for the date and time restrictions on the individual tasks?>>>

Hi Przemek,

Yes, I would recommend that the HotPots themselves not have due dates, only the TaskChain.  Therefore, there is no need for any date warnings.

Is there any reason to have HotPots within a TaskChain have individual due dates?

Later,

Jeff

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Przemek Kaszubski -

Thanks for this, Jeff. I somehow left those dates in when first experimenting with the settings and learning the TashChain module. Also, they do show in the Edit Tasks admin panel. 

I wonder about the default "Available" dates in the Edit Tasks table. Are these read from the Task Chain settings? I have just added an "Available from" date in the TC settings, but the default "Available from" in the Edit Tasks has not updated itself.

However, the Edit Chains table does show the new date.

Ergo, I just must learn how best to shuttle between the Edit Tasks and Edit Chains windows.

Thanks.

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Przemel,
the default dates and times are simply the current date and time.

The times and dates and not transferred between chains and tasks, so you should be careful you don't set dates that don't make sense.

Generally, as Jeff pointed out, you normally only set the open/close dates on the TaskChain activity. I imagine you would only set the open/close dates on a task for a task that you considered as a "test".

all the best
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Przemek,

I second Gordon's comments. I would just use edit settings for open and close. I do this myself. I use TaskChains for review of a topic. I actually make students get 90% or better, or I give them no credit. They are looped back to each HotPot until they get 90% before proceeding to the next. Since HotPots require one to ultimately arrive at the correct answer, they make for great reviews and self checks for understanding. I usually have feedback for each choice for better understanding.  I use these when we are finishing a topic. I generally make them due a day or two before our actual exams. This is to get them to not leave review until the very last minute. But the kids love them for review beyond the due date. I have a duplicate of the TaskChain open just as the graded one closes. I also have it set up as no points and free access to any of the HotPots in the chain. This way students can focus on the HotPot that give them the most trouble.

They have one due just before midnight tonight and the free-access one opens thereafter.

My class is kind of a blended of in class and online via Moodle.

Later,

Jeff

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Przemek Kaszubski -

Hi Jeff, Hi Gordon,

Thanks for these valuable comments from both of you.

I have yet to play with more task chains in my courses - I also do blended stuff mostly, but I see how students expect to be led by the hand through all the tasks and activities, regardless. Programming the e-learning part of my course  is becoming more and more of a priority.

One comment I'd have is that I'd wish there was an admin option for handling dates of selected quizzes , assignments etc in the Moodle core, same as I see it happen in the Edit Chains table. It really becomes a nuisance if, say, once needs to push all the very, very final due dates of the quizzes and all for the final week of classes. I need to update all such one by hand by hand. But that's a topic for different forums smile

Thanks again,

Przemek