Need help configuring forum's "Reply to post" feature.

Re: Need help configuring forum's "Reply to post" feature.

by Chris Tolley -
Number of replies: 2

I'm attempting to configure this feature for the first time using Moodle 2.9.3+ and I'm getting this message in the cron.php output:

Unable to connect to IMAP server. Failed with 'Error connecting to mail server.'

I've defined the mailbox name, the hostname:port (port 993) and tried each of the SSL options available during my tests...all with no success so far.  I'm able to use other applications from the moodle server to successfully connect to the mailbox I want to use, so I know my server:port settings and user/pass info is correct.

I believe I'm having an CA trust issue with the certificate from our Exchange Server.  The admin UI doesn't appear to give me any options for overriding certificate validation or adding any external CA trusts.  Any suggestions on how to overcome this issue?

In reply to Chris Tolley

by Jürgen Kappus -
Hi Chris, we have similar problem. We have been using the incomming mail feature on Moodle 2.9.x without any trouble. It took half an hour to get the right IMAP Settings.

After upgrading to 3.0.x authentification to the IMAP did not work anymore.

So we tried some different settings without any success.

Using the same settings on the same IMAP servers with a desktop client did work.

We will get deeper into it as we find some time and will report bug if there is one.

In reply to Chris Tolley

by Ute Hlasek -
Hi Chris, I am using Moodle 3.0.4 and had the same error message using gmail.
I could solve it by NOT giving the port-number, in your case 993.
I configured only smtp.gmail.com
For me it works now.