Embed external videos/ disable autoplay

Embed external videos/ disable autoplay

by Eric Johnson -
Number of replies: 11

Hi All,
For the past year I have been embedding flv videos to moodle by opening the html source editor and pasting my code ex. 

<p><a href="videolink.flv"></p>.  Recently this has not been working for me and the video does not embed it only allow you to download.  

Now when i use <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//videolink" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> it allows me to embed but then I cannot disable autoplay.

So basically I just need to embed video to the page without the videos playing automatically.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Eric

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Johnson

Re: Embed external videos/ disable autoplay

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Eric, I have been using sublime video player on my projects, works absolute perfect. you can check out sublime video site HERE. if need any assistance setting it up, lemme know.

In reply to Usman Asar

by ryan sanders -

there is some "audio recording" and "text to speech" plugins for moodle. www.moodle.org/plugins  or *points up at top of page* downloads -> plugins

audio recording, and upload directly into a course page. i think some options for both teacher and students alike. 

In reply to Eric Johnson

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

That should be possible without any plugins or fanciness. Do you have the multimedia plugins filter enabled? That is standard Moodle, and enabled by default. (It does not autoplay.) If your videos all stopped working, that would be the first place to look. 

Site administration -> plugins -> filters -> manage filters

I don't think you should manually be adding iframes and links. Moodle is well capable of doing all that faster and more reliably. To add the link, just use the link icon on the text editor. If you want to link to an external video, you should use the "MoodleMedia" icon on the text editor. You can just enter the url there (or choose a file from a repository).

By default the Multimedia plugins filter will use flowplayer to play back the videos, if the links are formatted correctly. But you can also choose other filters to handle the playback, eg PoodLL or VideoEasy. But the key thing is to make sure you add the video links the "moodle way." Then all the Moodle plugins can work for you.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Eric Johnson -
Thanks for the feedback, but when I use the default Moodle player it only displays a link, not an embedded video.
In reply to Eric Johnson

by Justin Hunt -

I think either the multimedia plugins filter is not enabled, or you are not adding the videos to the page in the normal way.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hey Justin,

I'm a little puzzled. I use Wistia to embed videos as well as the Moodle Media icon does not actually 'embed' the video--just shows a link. I do have my filters enabled. Music links will be filtered correctly, but not the video. When you say "the normal way" what do you mean? 

Here's an image of what it looks like when I use HTML to embed an externally hosted video (top) and what it looks like when I upload the video from my computer into moodle using the Media icon.

Here are my filters for that page:

I use Moodle 2.6. on a Mac in Firefox and Safari. Please let me know if I'm missing a step.
Thanks!

In reply to John Provasnik

by Justin Hunt -

Sorry I missed this.

I am guessing that the relevant step you are missing is setting up mp4 to be displayed. I attached a screenshot. Actually Moodle seems to get MP4 wrong. Usually setting it so that Quicktime does not play it, but html5 does play it, should work. But there are plenty of reports on these forums with people who have trouble with Moodle and mp4. 

I use the PoodLL filter for MP4 and that works fine. (I wrote it though). But I am just getting a better solution ready for release now. That is the video easy filter. If you use it, make sure you read the docs.  It sounds a bit complex, but its only a couple of clicks really and then it works pretty well.

https://github.com/justinhunt/moodle-filter_videoeasy

Attachment mp4.PNG
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Justin Hunt

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Thanks Justin. I checking those boxes on the Media embedding tab worked for me!

John

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Mark Sheppard -

I had a similar issue and I had to dig into my HTML code to see what was happening.

The Theme for my Moodle site (2.9) doesn't always make hyperlinks look pretty, so I manually added Underlines for emphasis.  In my case, I had created a Page resource added some text, and linked 4 .mp4 videos from our back-end server. I set them all to open in a new tab/window.

Parts 1,2, & 4 linked just fine, but Part 3 embedded itself in the Page and autoplayed.

I eventually looked at the HTML to see what was happening.

In 3 of the 4 instances, my tagging went something like this: <a href=...><u>Part #</u></a>

Part 3, somehow, went like this: <u><a href=...>Part 3</a></u>.

As soon as I re-ordered the tags, everything worked the way I wanted it to.  No idea why it should make a difference but it did.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by LaMica Justice -

Hey Justin, I am trying to upload a video and I have observed that as soon as a person goes into the course, the video auto starts and that is not what I want.  I want the staff to view the actual course first.  The other video is an extension to what they have to do, but it is not mandatory to watch.  My concern is that a staff member will go into the course, see the video and will not watch the mandatory course assignment.  Any suggestions?  I've followed this thread and tried to find  a resolution to no avail.

In reply to LaMica Justice

by Justin Hunt -

The filter that handles the video will make some assumptions about settings, when it turns it into a player. So it depends on the the filetype that you are embedding and the filter that is working on it. If the filter offers up some settings to control autoplay, you should be simply able to control it there. 

If the filter does not, perhaps you could try a different filter. The standard filter is the multimedia plugins filter, and the non standard ones that I maintain are the PoodLL filter and the VideoEasy filter. There are others too.

I can't say much more than that , without knowing the filetype and filter.