Quiz Marks

Quiz Marks

by safaa al-mamory -
Number of replies: 5

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }A:link { }

Dear Forum members,

I want to discriminate between Marks (M) and Grades (G) in the quiz. Marks Obtained (MO) are the total points gathered by the student while grade is the percent of these points with respect to Marks Total (MT) (i.e. the summation of all questions marks in the quiz). Grade sheet will contain grades but not marks. About this matter I have few questions:

1- Is it possible to send the marks to the grade sheet instead of grades? The solution that will not require to modify the source code is better.

2- As I think, Moodle compute the grade by MO/MT. Is there any way to set MT to 100? Any solutions (either by source code modification or by grade sheet configuration) are welcomed.

Hope to hearing from you soon and thanks in advance for any shared information.

Safaa O. Al-mamory

Average of ratings: -
In reply to safaa al-mamory

Re: Quiz Marks

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If it is possible to do what you want, then it will be possible on the Edit quiz page.

At the top of that page there is a box Maximum grade, and then for each question there is a Maximum mark, which is added up to give the Total of marks. Try experimenting with those settings, and look to see what effect that has when you review a student's attempt, and in the gradebook.

(If I was experimenting with this, I would use two different web browsers. For example I would log in as an admin in Firefox, and have that pointing at the Edit quiz page. Then I would log in as a test student account in Chrome, and make a quiz attempt. Then I would leave Chrome looking at the quiz Review page. That way, I could easily make changes to the quiz settings in Firefox, and then reload the page in Chrome to see what effect the change had.)

Let me give a simple example to try to show how it works. Suppose we have a quiz with two questions:

• Q1 worth 3 marks
  • Q2 worth 2 marks

So Total of marks is 5.

Let us suppose that Maximum grade is then set to 20.

Then if a student gets Q1 right and Q2 wrong, they have 3/5 marks, which is is a grade of 12/20 which is sometimes also displayed as 60%.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by safaa al-mamory -

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Thanks Hunt for that explanation. To be more specific, I have many many courses (which represent colleges) each having a teacher (i.e. a dean, head of department, dean deputy,...) and students (employees, staff faculty, ...). Every student should fill the form. I have almost finished the form using quiz because I am very familiar with quiz and the deadline is coming soon. As a next step, I will do my best to learn dataform However, there are several question related to form design by quiz:

1- How can we build a site-wide quiz? I want to build the quiz (i.e. form) one time and use it in all courses. Is it possible?

2- After finishing the quiz and gathering all information from users, we are interesting in collecting the answers of every question. I installed the configurable report plugin which is an amazing tool. Then I found several SQL statements in the forum. One related SQL of these is to extract the results of all quizes in the site. I am a biggner with SQL so could any one help us to extract these information from Moodle? The mentioned SQL is as follows:

SELECT

prefix_grade_items.itemname,

prefix_grade_items.grademax,

ROUND(prefix_grade_grades.finalgrade, 0) AS finalgrade,

prefix_user.firstname,

prefix_user.lastname,

prefix_user.username

FROM

prefix_grade_grades

INNER JOIN prefix_user ON prefix_grade_grades.userid = prefix_user.id

INNER JOIN prefix_grade_items ON prefix_grade_grades.itemid = prefix_grade_items.id

WHERE (prefix_grade_items.itemname IS NOT NULL)

AND (prefix_grade_items.itemtype = 'mod' OR prefix_grade_items.itemtype = 'manual')

AND (prefix_grade_items.itemmodule = 'quiz' OR prefix_grade_items.itemmodule IS NULL)

AND (prefix_grade_grades.timemodified IS NOT NULL)

AND (prefix_grade_grades.finalgrade > 0)

AND (prefix_user.deleted = 0)

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Safaa O. Al-mamory

by safaa al-mamory -

Hi,

The first problem was how to duplicate the quiz or form to all other courses. I think I solved it by:

1- Create the course with all required quizes or forms.

2- Create other courses by "upload courses" property of moodle. there is a feature letting you restore an existing course after creating the new one. I mean it let you copy the contents of an existing course to the new one.

thats all and hope this help others.

All the best,

Safaa O. Al-mamory

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Using Restore to add standard elements to a course will work when you create the course, but is not ideal if you need to change those elements later.

There is another approach you can try: https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Course_meta_link. That is quite complex to set up, but does let all the students on a number of different courses access a set of shared activites in a 'meta-course'.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by dawn alderson -

briefly....

Let me give a simple example to try to show how it works. Suppose we have a quiz with two questions:

·Q1 worth 3 marks

·Q2 worth 2 marks

So Total of marks is 5.

3, 2. 5. 0, 1, 4,   6 POSS OUTCOMES

But,

Let us suppose that Maximum grade is then set to 20. OK-got that.

And the following means: either get Q1 RIGHT/Q2 WRONG.....Q2 RIGHT Q1 WRONG....BOTH WRONG.....BOTH RIGHT 4 POSS OUTCOMES

Then if a student gets Q1 right and Q2 wrong, they have 3/5 marks, which is is a grade of 12/20 which is sometimes also displayed as 60%.OK-got that too-in view of original premise.

RE: After finishing the quiz and gathering all information from users, we are interesting in collecting the answers of every question.

So, what are you coding up there (post before Tim's?) Breadth for LO? Narrow ILO.........or oppt for both.........''when collecting the answers of every question''?  I cannot help but think of a finely layered cake here eh?

Doesn't the SQL accommodate?