Seeking Advice in Selecting Best Enrollment Plugin

Seeking Advice in Selecting Best Enrollment Plugin

by Tim Edsell -
Number of replies: 6

Noob here...using vers. 2.8.1

I'm designing a subscription based site.  I have identified 3 main types of potential subscribers:  individual, team and "camp".

There are 3 courses available: Level 1, 2 and 3.

The individual may subscribe to their appropriate level.  The team may have individuals that fall into each of the different levels (e.g. 7 for level 1, 5 for level 2 and 2 for level 3) .  The "camp" subscription will have access to all levels.

I'm seeking suggestions as to what plugin (or better suggestion) I should use (research) that will allow for these types of disparate "types" to subscribe.

Tim

(p.s. I'm very new to this entire website development process.)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Edsell

Re: Seeking Advice in Selecting Best Enrollment Plugin

by ryan sanders -

your looking for "meta courses" it needs to be turned on, and then using the "paypal enrollment".

the meta courses will let ya setup some blank courses and set different prices for them. and then feed then into a single course or multi courses. you set the enrollment length, via meta course. to deal with subscriber length.

*points to top of page* documentation,  then search for "meta courses"  

*points to the right* current community -> "moodle english" type in "meta course" into the search. there is a good amount of forum posts here on the forums as well. of how to set them up for what you are wanting to do.

for enrollments, make sure you disable "self register" and enable paypal enrollment. goto your moodle website, login as an admin => site administration menu (left side default) -> plugins -> enrollments

In reply to ryan sanders

by Tim Edsell -

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for *pointing* (lol!) me in the right direction.

I have run across "meta courses" but was confused from what I was reading in the forum post where I saw it.

Is PayPal the only way to receive payment?  (Again, sorry for the noob question.)

Tim

In reply to Tim Edsell

by ryan sanders -

paypal is only current way that i know of in accepting $$$ and auto enrolling folks into the given courses out of the box with moodle.  if you want more than that it gets a bit more complicated.  either dealing with a "moodle partner" or dealing with a third party e commerce software package, and using an integration option. 

thinking you might use a third party ecommerce software package, and then manually enter folks into moodle. *shakes head no* can be a nightmare, and ya get into issues of folks having more than 2 accounts.   you want some sort of pay and auto-enroll doing, with SSO (single sign on) or authentication plugin, that works between ecommerce software package and moodle.   "moodle partners" most likely do this and keep there code up to date, and reduces amount of programming ya need to know, but at a cost.   the DIY (do it yourself) third part intergration plugins out there... it is a mix and match of how well they integrate the 2 softwares together. 

In reply to ryan sanders

by Tim Edsell -

Ryan,

Thank you for the information.  I guess I'll probably have to go down the 3rd party route when I'm ready.

Which just raised another ?...I'm guessing that Moodle supports multiple enrollment options running at the same time (i.e. both PayPal and 3rd party may enroll subscribers into the same Course Category)?

Tim

In reply to Tim Edsell

by Larry Lippke -

Yes, it supports multiple enrollment options, even multiple Paypal enrollment options.  The different Paypal enrollment options can be used to enroll people for different amounts of time or to different roles, or both.  You could charge more for those with longer duration or higher/deeper level of access.

You can also use self-enrollment with enrollment key as a secondary enrollment method.  If you use a 3rd party package to collect the fees, there is normally some sort of acknowledgement the enrollee sees after completing the payment.  Within that acknowledgement you can include the enrollment key to allow them into the course.

Another 3rd party package which seamlessly enrolls people into courses is Course Merchant that you might want to check into.

In reply to Larry Lippke

by Tim Edsell -

Larry,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, advice and suggestion!

Tim