Rubric - is a variation possible?

Rubric - is a variation possible?

by Beatriz Rojo -
Number of replies: 3

Hi there,

I have a question about the rubric grading method. I use Moodle 2.6.

I would like to use a rubric where different criteria for a level are summed up. For instance: Format: Title (1 point), Double-spaced (1 point), Arial 10 (1 point). I need to be able to mark the three of the criteria, if the student has fullfilled all of them.

I think, it is not possible with the rubric. Is there a way (plug-in or another feedback/grading method to do that?

Of course, I know I could transform the criterion Title into level like this: Title: does exist (1 p.)/ does not exist (0 p.). But then, I cannot group the different levels into one header named Format.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks!

Beatriz.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

Re: Rubric - is a variation possible?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Beatriz,

I hesitate to mention it because I've just discovered right now that it seems to have a bug in the latest version, but the Checklist Marking Guide addon works the way you want. https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=gradingform_checklist

Version 2.5 works correctly in Moodle 2.5. However, in version 2.6 for Moodle 2.6 the Item and Group delete buttons are missing when editing the marking guide so you have to use three or more items per group. What that means - When you add a new group, by default it creates 3 items. In 2.5 you can delete ones you don't use. In 2.6, since the delete buttons are missing, you cannot get rid of extras, and it won't let you leave them empty.

I've tried using a different theme to see if that was the cause, but the delete buttons were still missing. I even installed the 2.5 version in Moodle 2.6...still no delete buttons.

The only temporary fix I've come up with so far, is to make the Marking Guide as usual and in any extra item name I name it delete me 1, delete me 2. I then go find it in the database using phpMyAdmin and delete them. Seems to work ok, at least it gives the right grades.

Ah, well, probably more than you want to put up with. I'm off to do some semester exam grading but will try and put in a bug report later today.

AL

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi again,

I had a few minutes between classes and the fix is much easier than I thought it might be. The Checklist 2.6 advanced grading method  will work and even works great in my Moodle 2.8. Turns out the problem was the pictures used for delete buttons were missing. They are in Moodle 2.5 but missing in Moodle 2.6, 2.7, and 2.8.

The needed files are:

cross_red_big.gif

cross_red_big.png

cross_red_big.svg

cross_red_small.gif

cross_red_small.png

cross_red_small.svg

Once I added the pictures to ...moodle/pix/i folders in my Moodle 2.6, 2.7, and 2.8, I was able to edit/delete the items and groups like they are supposed to.

So, Checklist advanced grading method will do what you want, just need to add the pictures. You can set the points to whatever you want them to be for each item as well as add individual item or group remarks.

AL

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Itamar Tzadok -

You can also try the Dataform module. While it doesn't yet support the Moodle rubrics (prepared but not completed yet), it allows you to create a rubric as part of the submission form. That is, you can add grading and feedback fields, organize them in the entry template as desired with descriptions and styles (via a WYSIWYG editor), and then set the activity grading calculation you wish to apply.

The presentation at https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=276190#p1187089 illustrates how grading is done (it would be similar for group and individual submissions).

The thread at https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=276623 offers further clarifications how to construct the calculated grade in the activity.

hth smile

EDIT: Unfortunately some of these features are available from 2.7 onward, so may not applicable in your current Moodle.