Presented with the login page when visiting moodle.org?

Presented with the login page when visiting moodle.org?

by Dan Poltawski -
Number of replies: 6

Hi Everyone,

On moodle.org we have 'auto-login' as guests turned on so that when people browse the forums here they don't need to login. As you can imagine we have way more anonymous users than logged in ones who arrive here from search engines.

Unfortunately, using Moodle to support anonymous guest browsing is not a very typical scenario (most institutions would want to personalise the experience of the user more, rather than support many anonymous guests).

Recently we've been discussing trying to iron out some rough edges when presented with the login page on moodle.org (MDLSITE-3382).

One thing we've been talking about this week (MDL-48479) this is the behaviour that when have been logged into moodle.org and your login times out, you get sent to the login page when viewing a thread - rather than logged in automatically as a guest.

My questions for you are:

1. Do you or Moodlers you talk to find being presented with the login page a barrier?
  2. When you view a thread and have been previously logged in - would you like moodle.org to ask you to login, or log you in as a guest?
  3. Bonus question, if you are using this feature on your own Moodle site, how would you like it to work?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Poltawski

Re: Presented with the login page when visiting moodle.org?

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

For me :

1. it's NOT a barrier
  2. I'll prefere to login again, and then knowing what message(s) have been read (or not)
  3. I'll prefere that users have to login, better than being automatically connected as guests

Séverin

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I do not know about these talks, also can't understand what there to talk about. For me, it is the simplest thing in the world, and that not my invention either. Here it goes:

1. for all the visitors who have no login on moodle.org
If one visits an URL, whether high-level one like https://docs.moodle.org or a deep one like https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Upgrading_FAQ#I_have_custom_code_in_my_site._How_do_I_upgrade.3F,
a) just deliver that resource, if that resource is public.

Do not start discussing about guest logins with non-moodlers, that is an odd thing to explain.

b) if that resource is available only for registered users, say so, and offer a login box and also a button to start the registration process.

If they don't want to comply, hard luck!

2. for all who have a login on moodle.org but are not logged on at the time.
Exactly the same behaviour as in item 1.
a) the information is public. Show it without hassle!

b) the information needs a login. Give them the same choice: either enter their login, register with a new login or no access!

That is all to it, I guess! Well, case 3, have a login and also logged in, there is nothing to explain, right? Have a login and has ticked "Remember me" at the last login, then already fill the login name in the login box. If they have saved the password too, through a mechanism in the browser, the browser fill that one too. The user still has to click on "Login now". Well, all that is handles by the browser anyway.

This talk about remembering where the user has been: That sounds to me like the typical bait to retain user data. Has some manager sold some ideas of the great benefits of data-laundering to HQ?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I think Dan's questions miss the main point:

In 2014, almost every other web system (Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, ...) offers a "Keep me logged in on this computer" option on the login page.

Moodle has never offered this.

I think we should add that option. It not only solves the problems in this thread, it is just a nice features to have.

(Of course, it needs to be implemented properly. If you get it wrong, that is a security risk. However, as I say, many other people have done it, so there shoudl be a secure pattern we could follow.)

There is a more sophisticated version of doing this (which I think is what Google does). The 'keep me logged' in is good enough for most read-only tasks on the site. However, at the point where you start trying to do something more serious (hit reply on a forum post, try to edit your profile), at that point it gets you to re-log-in, before you can do the more dangerous operation. That would require more of a change to the require_login API (unless we did it in require_capability, and detected any capability with a 'write' or 'risk', and made them trigger a re-log-in.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Daniel Neis Araujo -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hello,

I agree with Visvanath Ratnaweera that what is public should be displayed with no hassle and what is not public should ask for login, as simple as this =)

Also, this behaviour of auto login as guest has caused problems to Mobile App while using SSO (CAS) and you must have it turned off for the app to work and this way you hassle people who are browsing open content on the web.

Kind regards,

Daniel

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Daniel Neis Araujo

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Daniel

You wrote:
> what is public should be displayed with no hassle and what is not public should ask for login, as simple as this =)

That was a lesson in clear thinking! It is difficult enough to formulate something which one finds trivial. Once you hear that there were so much talk about it, which means the topic is non-trivial for many, that makes it much harder. My mistake was to take the same approach, to break the problem first in to various user types and then consider the various types of information. By looking at the types of information first, there are only two, you made is as simple as it goes!

by Dan Bennett -

1. A barrier for people who aren't signed up and are just googling for answers. But for people with a registration I guess it's more of a frustration. Something I constantly grrr at sad.

2. Log in as guest. I only need to log in if I'm replying or need to subscribe.

3. Not sure it really affects many sites. Moodle.org is a different story compared to most Moodle sites.

Tim Hunt: "In 2014, almost every other web system (Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, ...) offers a "Keep me logged in on this computer" option on the login page.

Moodle has never offered this."

+1 for this. (Is there a tracker issue? :P)