Moodle for Primary School

Moodle for Primary School

by Emmanuel Obioha -
Number of replies: 4
I am working on an idea to host a website where primary school kids can go 
in and use the site for studies and assignments. I want to make it 
interactive, and i want to also make them want to come back and i plan 
to make available enough teachers to help them during assignments.

*** Where can you come in here please.

1. Basically please advise me on a particular moodle template for 
primary schools that will support my idea, because i'm new to Moodle, and i think its very complex for me much less for kids.

2. Where can i get useful content developing tools, because i want to 
work with the syllables and curriculum provided by my country education 
system. So i need tools that i can use to create content easily. I even 
intend to create contents in game formats if possible.

3. Or any other advise or solutions you can offer.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emmanuel Obioha

Re: Moodle for Primary School

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello. It's certainly possible to use Moodle for Primary schools; I have experience of it myself. You will need a theme which will look attractive and be simple for the children to use. Moodle comes with a customisable theme called More -see documentation here: Standard themes and with it you can do things like  - http://school.demo.moodle.net/

In terms of content creation, if you are new to Moodle and you haven't already, please join our online Moodle beginners's course (MOOC) here: https://learn.moodle.net/ It won't cover administration or theming but the basics of teaching with Moodle, which would be a start for you.

Also take a look at the courses on our demo site - http://school.demo.moodle.net/course/index.php In their descriptions they have age ranges so you might get some ideas there.

In terms of your vision of creating a site where primary pupils can go and use the site for studying and assignment, no doubt you are aware of the whole range of privacy/safety/security issues etc but that is more a policy and admin issue of yours, rather than a pedagogical/styling one of Moodle.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Emmanuel Obioha -

Hello Mary,

Thank you for the information. Please I'm not so certain about the "privacy/safety/security' you mentioned. I really don't want to do anything wrongly. Kindly give me links to read and cover those topics so i would get it write from the start. More information about them i mean.

Thank you once again. I am accessing the links you sent above already.

In reply to Emmanuel Obioha

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello again. I'm sorry but I can't really give you links about privacy issues relating to young children as they are probably different in different countries but perhaps others on here can respond in more general terms. I was thinking for example of how they authenticate and the controls re adults interacting with children.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Emmanuel Obioha -

Oh that? its fine. We plan to involve their parents. in fact if possible, we intend to make the platform in a way where parents can access all communications between the children, and the teachers.