cmi.core.session_time and writing cmi.core.total_time

Re: cmi.core.session_time and writing cmi.core.total_time

by Peter Ward -
Number of replies: 6

Thanks for your response Dan, much appreciated.

I've captured many API logs and my problem is that I can't replicate the errors when I'm doing my testing, so I'm beginning to think its something to do with the connection between the end user and the moodle database.

I think I'm right that cmi.total_time is calculated by moodle on the server.

I just did another test and closed the Scorm using 'exit activity' whilst watching the API log and also looking directly at the entries in the database at mdl_scorm_scoes_track.

cmi.Total_time was written in the database on 'exit activity' being selected or when I forced the moodle browser window to close.

In reply to Peter Ward

by Mark Melia -

Hi Peter,

I believe we are having exactly the same issue here. Did you find any resolution to this issue?

Thanks,

Mark

In reply to Mark Melia

by Peter Ward -

Hi Mark,

I'm afraid I have drawn a blank on this, other than being able to identify that it's not only occurring in one instance of moodle, and on different servers / hosts.

I had thought about asking other moodle admins, who's moodles use lots of Scorm packages, to do a search of their moodle databases to see if they also have incomplete data.

And then to see if there was any commonality between Scorm authoring tools used, moodle setups, e.t.c.

If the moodle is not generating a report that uses total_time then its quite likely that the incomplete data is going unnoticed?

As Articulate have just released an upgrade of storyline, I'll also be republishing some of my Scorms and running those with a watchful eye to see if the storyline upgrade overcomes this issue.

Cheers

Peter.

In reply to Peter Ward

by Tom Farrow -

Hi there Peter,

I am experiencing this issue also, with the  cmi.core.total_time displaying for some users and not for others. Have you got anywhere with resolving it in the time passed?

Many Thanks,

Mark

In reply to Tom Farrow

by Peter Ward -

Hi Tom,

I have not been able to get a definitive answer from anyone on this.

The problem continues to exist, and I believe that it's probably a problem for all users of scorm in moodle, given that I've seen the issue on different moodle versions installed on different servers.

Maybe the reason most are not talking about this, is that they are not relying on the cmi.core.total_time for their reporting, so are unaware of the issue.

I've reluctantly explained this away to users that.........'there are many things standing between the end users browser and the moodle database that can cause the delivery of the data from the scorm package to the moodle, to be interupted and therefore incomplete'.

'What do you mean they say!'

Local networks. Local Firewalls. Routing across the internet. e.t.c., e.t.c. I say.

'Well we don't get any problems with other sites we use', they reply.

Maybe Dan Marsden (moodle scorm guru) might be able to add to this given his experience and greater knowledge on this since I last posted.

If someone could provide me with a method that would allow me to trap the reason's behind the lost data, I'd willingly put some effort in to gather additional info that might lead to some clarity on this issue.

Cheers

Peter

In reply to Peter Ward

by Tom Farrow -

Hi Peter,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I think you might be right in that the majority would be not be relying on cmi.core.total_time for reporting, I rely on  cmi.core.score.raw typically.

But hopefully someone may be to bring some more information about this issue.

Best

Tom

In reply to Peter Ward

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Peter, 

I haven't seen any more info on this - if we can work out the conditions that cause it or find a way to reproduce it then I can probably take another look.