Students get 0 grade in submission phase [Moodle 2.6] [Workshop]

Students get 0 grade in submission phase [Moodle 2.6] [Workshop]

by Paolo Porcaro -
Number of replies: 3

Hello everybody!

It seems no one came up with this particular issue...

In short:

• course completion on
  • minimum grade to pass the activity set (in Gradebook, evaluation item "Submission") other than zero
  • students that have submitted their work get a red X (failed) in activity completion, and their grade for the submission is zero.

I may have made some mistake, but the system simply should not assign a grade to students while in the submission phase, right?

I am a bit puzzled... any idea?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paolo Porcaro

Re: Students get 0 grade in submission phase [Moodle 2.6] [Workshop]

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

the system simply should not assign a grade to students while in the submission phase, right?

Correct. The Workshop module pushes grades into the gradebook only during the transition to the Closed phase. In other words, whenever you are closing the workshop, the grades (both - for the submission and for the assessment) are being written to the gradebook. In all other situations the Workshop keeps the grades in its own DB tables only.

Can you provide more information about your environment (especially exact Moodle version) so that someone can try and reproduce it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Paolo Porcaro -

David, thanks for your answer.

The correct Moodle version is 2.7.1 (sorry).

...in the meantime, I run some other tests (on demo.moodle.net), where I verified almost the same behavior and possibly found an answer (sort of).

While I was setting up the activity, I switched briefly to the closing phase and took some screenshots for tutorial purposes. That, as you might put it, "pushed the grades into the gradebook". Ok, that could explain why students got a grade, still...

Problems (on both versions):

• Grades for submission are assigned for all submitted work, no matter if they were graded (by peers) or not at all (in the latter case, NULL is converted to "zero"). I figure the rationale here is: "OK, they submitted something, no one assessed them, if teachers do not override the grade Moodle should assign a grade, so their activity is marked complete, at least". Makes sense... still, teachers could use some sort of warning for submission that were not graded at all by peers wink

• Assigned grades do not get blanked (i.e. back to NULL) once the activity is switched back to submission or even setup phase. (OK, so I will not go back and forth through the phases. Ever. cool )

On my version:

• All of the students got grades for submission (i.e. NULL converted to "zero"), even if they had not submitted anything at all.

Note: on both versions, no one got any grade for assessment (i.e. NULL stayed NULL), and that's OK, because no one assessed anything.

Thanks again,

- Paolo

In reply to Paolo Porcaro

by Paolo Porcaro -
Addendum:
NULL converted to "zero" refers to the grades in the Gradebook.