Dear Moodle Community,
I have a need to merge the course creator and teacher roles, for a specific category in Moodle. The category will be a course staging area. I'm naming the new role "Training Specialist" after the job title of the woman creating the new tests for our Moodle site.
This new "Training Speclist" role will have the ability to do the following:
- Create / Test out courses in the course staging area course category.
- Assign themselves the role of teacher for a course.
- Assign test users the role of student within the course.
Here is what I did to accomplish this on Moodle 2.5:
First I compared the two roles using two SQL queries (this one and this one) to see which existing role had fewer permissions that needed to be setup. This turned out to be the Course Creator role which had 14 permissions.
- To create the "Training Specialist" role I copied the "Teacher" role, since it had more permissions.
- I then I used results of the query I ran to look for enabled permissions on the Course Creator and made sure that the "Training Specialist" role also had those permissions enabled in the "Define Roles" screen.
Then I tried the new "Training Specialist" role by assigning it to a user. When logged in as that user, I could not see the courses, even if the user themselves created the course (because the user was not enrolled as a teacher or student in the course).
- So on the "Define Roles" screen I added the participationmoodle/course:view permission to the "Training Specialist" role, and now the user was able to view the course even if they were not enrolled in it.
- The "Training Specialist" role also needed the ability to assign themselves the role of teacher in a particular course, so back on the "Define Roles" screen, under the "Allow role assignments" tab, in the Training Specialist row, I checked off the checkbox in the "Teacher" column.
Considering that participationmoodle/course:view was not in either of the lists, are there any other permissions I should include in this new "Training Specialist" role?