"Insert into log failed at your moodle site" with HotPot...

"Insert into log failed at your moodle site" with HotPot...

by Séverin Terrier -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

I don't know if it's related, but since several days (when i upgraded HotPot module from version 36 to 39 and then 41), i regularly (each day) encounter this problem : i receive an email like this one:

Insert into log table failed at Tuesday 09th of December 2014 08:35:14 AM.
 It is possible that your disk is full.

The failed query parameters are:

array (
  'time' => 1418114114,
  'userid' => '39932',
  'course' => '265',
  'ip' => '10.7.75.86',
  'module' => 'hotpot',
  'cmid' => '13018',
  'action' => 'OLD_attempt_started',
  'url' => 'view.php?id=102',
  'info' => NULL,
)

Sometimes the message is refering to OLD_attempt_started and sometimes to OLD_attempt_submitted.

My disk is not full !

I've checked, and there are no automatical operation at this time (no statistics, no backup, no cron).

For one instance, it appears nearly always at the same time (between 08:30 AM and 08:35 AM), and for the other instance (on the same server), the range is more large (between 5:00 PM and 9:42 PM).

Do someone have an idea?

Séverin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Séverin Terrier

Re: "Insert into log failed at your moodle site" with HotPot...

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

HI Severin,
I am not sure why that might be happening. Please leave it with me for a few days, and I will investigate.

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Severin,

I think this may have been caused by the double logging of HotPot events, such as starting and submitting attempts. Please could you update your HotPot module (from github.com or Moodle.org) and let me know if the situation improves or not.

thanks
Gordon

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Gordon,

Once again, thanks for the really quick work and update of the HotPot module.

Just one question (to be sure) before making the update : do you mean that you've disabled (or deleted ?) old (legacy) log? Or just that it's now better handled?

Because i think that both logs should work, if defined this way in Moodle's log configuration.

Séverin

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Severin,

I mean that it's better handled because my understanding of the way the log system in Moodle 2.7 works has improved.

If you have both log systems enabled they will continue to work, and I believe that the legacy log will not produce errors anymore, because I think those errors were caused by a "race" condition when moodle was trying to update the legacy log twice for each HotPot event. 

enjoy!
Gordon

by Séverin Terrier -

Thanks Gordon for the precisions.

So, i've just installed the latest HotPot version on my Moodle instances.

Hope that, as you explain, it will avoid these errors. If it's not the case, i'll tell you soon.

I'll also tell you if all goes well in some days.

Thanks again.

Séverin

by Séverin Terrier -

Hi,

No more errors reported since i've installed V43 smile

I've just seen that HotPot Module in the plugins is now V45, and even v46 in github.

Gordon : would it be possible to include a file (like releasenotes.txt) to let one know what is done in each new release (reverse order)? There as been some little discussion about that here. At least, I find it useful wink

Séverin

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Severin,
thanks for confiriming that the issue with the log table seems to be fixed approve

Regarding the release notes, I wonder if the log of commit messages would serve your purposes:

I am hesitant to say I will create a CHANGES.txt file that gives details of ALL the reasons and consequences of EVERY change I make to the software I create. Basically, I don't have the time for that. The best I could do at the moment, is to compile all the commit messages (give in the link above) into a single file, but there's not a lot of point in that as that information is already available online. 

Do you have a sample of the kind of thing you would like to see in such a file?

As a general policy I try to commit as soon as an improvement is available, but I understand that admins can't be updating all the while. Therefore, I suggest you create your own "upgrade schedule", once a week, or month, or term, and stick with that.

regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Jeff Finnan -

<<log of commit messages>>>

Cheers to Gordon for all that he does. Moodle keeps throwing left, then right hooks at him. It is pretty amazing what he does, what he does for us.  And now thanks for this log.

Later,

Jeff

by Séverin Terrier -

Hi Gordon,

And i can confirm that there has been no new error message since the new version is installed smile

The commit message logs are helpful, and i understand it would take (to much) time to add valuable information each time you make a new commit.

Perhaps you should just put the link above in the description of the plugin, for people like me wanting to have details, and not knowing how to find it easylly in Github wink

Regards,
Séverin

by Gordon Bateson -

Thanks Severin. That's a good idea approve
I will add the link to the commit log later on.

best regards
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Severin,

I have added link from the HotPot download page on Moodle.org to the change log on github.com. Thanks for that idea.

Today, I made another update related to the logging of HotPot events. I believe and hope it is the last update I need to do related to logging. I suggest you update at your next convenient opportunity.

regards
Gordon