When adding a new course, unwanted blocks are automatically added -- how to prevent this

When adding a new course, unwanted blocks are automatically added -- how to prevent this

by John Provasnik -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Whenever I add a new course to my, there are three block that are automatically added (Search forums, Latest News, Upcoming Events).
These blocks are not added to our site home page, so I'm not sure what is causing them to appear on every new course. I do not have access to any system files (we pay for hosting) so I was wondering what other 'settings' options I have to prevent these blocks from appearing when creating  new courses.
Thanks,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: When adding a new course, unwanted blocks are automatically added -- how to prevent this

by Mike Grant -

Hi John,

I believe that this is a setting that you need to override within your config.php file.

You need to add a variable for $CFG->defaultblocks_overide, if you look in config-dist.php for that variable there is a good amount of documentation and explanation of how this works, and what you need to assign to that variable.

Thanks

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mike Grant

Re: When adding a new course, unwanted blocks are automatically added -- how to prevent this

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hey Mike,

That's what I thought I read in another forum. Unfortunately, my Moodle is hosted by a Moodle sponsor company so I don't have editing access to the php files.

I ended up going to Admin/Plugins/Blocks and just hid these blocks there since I don't use them anyways. Solves my problem by not having them appear whenever I create new courses now. but... just won't be able to use the blocks in the future unless I can get access to that php file. 

Thanks again,

In reply to John Provasnik

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi John,

As a site admin I prepare template courses with a basic layout of topics or weeks and include the blocks that I like. Then I back up these template courses. So whenever I need to add a new course, I restore the respective template course. 

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Average of ratings: Useful (1)