Editing teachers unable to create/delete groups

Editing teachers unable to create/delete groups

by Frank Nunziata -
Number of replies: 0

Hi,

Wondering if anybody else has come across this problem? Our teachers are unable to create/delete groups.

They navigate to Course Administration->Users->Groups and are able to see the three tabbed page (Groups, Groupings, Overview). They are also able to click on the 'Create Group' button and navigate to the Create-Group page, fill it in, and finally save changes.

But when they navigate back to the Groups screen, the group(s) they have just created are not visible. However if they click on the Overview tab the group(s) are there. But because the groups are not displayed in the Groups tab they cannot add students to them!

Now the strange part! If I, as site administrator, go through and create a 'dummy' group in the same course, then the dummy group, along with all the other groups that teachers tried to create now appear under the Group tab! I delete the 'dummy' group and all rest of groups remain!

All teachers have permissions set to create groups. The group creating works for me always, even when, through the site administration link I logon as a teacher.

Similar behaviour happens when teachers try to delete a group. They delete the group, but it remains in Groups tab. If they try to delete it again, or try to add students to it, they get an error message. Again, if I create and delete and dummy group then all gets fixed - the deleted groups are no longer displayed in the Groups tab.

We are using Moodle 2.5.1 on Windows. So that all courses conform to a College standard all courses are set up from a template by a Site Administrator. The template has a set number of subjects/units to it. The teacher can then edit everything else.  

Anybody else come across this peculiar behaviour? If/how did you fix it?

Thank you in Advance

Frank Nunziata

System Developer, West Herts College

Average of ratings: -