Making Moodle More Consistent

Making Moodle More Consistent

by Jez H -
Number of replies: 11
I don't have any "high level" principles to offer other than "don't over think it", what I have been looking at are things at the other end of the scale, improvements we could practically hope to make:

Navigation

I recently tried making some user guides for students to show them how to get around (poor navigation being a long standing complaint).
Whilst doing this at site level was easy enough it unraveled once I got down into a course because at course level its pretty well "any old made up" depending on the presence and position of blocks.

We have been trying to address this in our theme (which you can now see in the Moodle.Org plugins database).

• As 2.8 now does users profile links are under their username
  • Like other contributed themes we have a "my courses" drop down list
  • We added a "This Course" drop down in the navigation which only appears in a course and shows links for the course you are in. This replicates the "activities" block on Moodle and adds a couple of other links

We plan to move more items into these three areas such as "blogs" "posts" under the users dropdown list, and other elements within the current course.

We have also disabled some blocks:

• Calendar (we have navigation links into this)
  • Recent Updates (replaced that with CUL Activity Stream which scrolls within the block instead of spewing down the page)
  • Upcoming Events (replaced that with CUL Upcoming Events which looks nicer and scrolls within the block instead of spewing down the page)

We also want to disable both the "navigation" and "administration" blocks for students, once we have moved remaining useful items into the theme navigation: The "navigation" block is terrible, having everything essentially means you have nothing, no one wants to use it. We notice a lot of students just dock it to get the clutter out of the way. Why would someone in "Course A" want an ever expanding sprawl down the page that allows them to dig into "course B" down to the level of a single PDF and open that PDF from another course when it is quicker, easier and frankly saner to go into that other course and find it?

Rival Processes for File Upload

The file picker is an ongoing problem for us as we use repositories, but many staff use the "rival" process of drag and drop into the course page, a particular problem with video as drag n drop adds the video file into the course whereas using one of our repositories sends it via Kaltura which transcodes it allowing video to play on any device.

One option would be to drag files into a block (allowing use of repositories) and drag files back from there. Another would be upon dragging into a course to ask which repository it should go into.

Inconsistent Assignment Settings

We value the flexibility offered by mod/assign and almost every feature is used by someone soemewhere, the downside is again we have "any old made up" in many courses. A simple example is some staff set "require submit button" and some don't which confuses students.

I know another University ripped out lots of features from assignment settings to get consistency but as I said, we don't want to limit what staff can do. I do not subscribe to the idea you should reduce Moodle functionality to the lowest common denominator.

That said some kid of wizard / workflow would go a long way so that instead of throwing staff straight into the morass of assignment settings there could be a two step process allowing the selection of "templates" which pre-populated certain presets and allowed staff to enter only minimal information. One of the options there could be "no template, I want to start from scratch".

Activity Chooser

The distinction between "activity" and "resource" no longer cuts it for us as we have a growing list of items in the list, often closely related but ad different ends of the list. Big Blue Button being a good illustration. The BBB session (online lecture) is an activity which appears near the top. The "recordings" are a resource type which also needs to be embedded if you want to give students access to recorded sessions. They are pretty well at opposite ends of the activity chooser at the moment.

The other issue with the activity chooser as it stands is that staff only tend to use what they know and ignore what they dont, in part because it is disorganised.

A better approach (IMO) would be to organise by type / function rather than the rather abstract notion of activity or resource. For example add headings for "Video" which could include things like BBB, Lecture Capture, Kaltura (or similar)

Another heading for "Content" which could include pages, labels etc (we are working on another plugin to render labels using Bootstrap elements like Modal, Toggle and would like to expand that to add accordian, tabs etc)

I guess with everyone having different setups it would be an idea to make this configurable to a point so admins could move things around different headings if they needed to.

I know that could be a lot of work but one of the benefits would be that when staff go to add "video" or "content" they see relevant options available to them at the time they are editing their course, they know by the heading that it relates to what they are trying to do at the time and thus maybe more inclined to look at things they have not used previously.

Hope that is of some use and doesn't upset anybody mixed

Average of ratings: Useful (6)
In reply to Jez H

Re: Making Moodle More Consistent

by dawn alderson -

Jez, while I have marked this post as useful, which it is, do you think it might be an idea to apply what you have outlined there into a course that can be viewed e.g. moodle.net.....or there may be a course with those items already synthesised....I suppose seeing all this as well as thinking about it in the abstract could be a powerful way for us/others to understand the key points in your post. I also think, when it comes to mock-ups it is a nice idea to include in the paper-work/docs....how much construction is required by the admin and how much by the teacher-just a thought.

I have no idea why you think you might upset someone but, just to let you know nowt wrong this end in view of those valuable points.

D

In reply to dawn alderson

by Jez H -

I would like to mock up a course but most of the above is pie in the sky at the moment.

The only thing I hope to get to soon is the ability to turn off the "administration" and "navigation" blocks for students. Below is a short clip showing how the two drop-down lists in our theme "My Courses" and "This Course" work together to allow users to find things quickly, Assignments being a big one:

That does not add any functionality but makes sure it is always present, always in the same place and having the two right next to each other works well in terms of usability (at least that is what I have found since we added that).

The other things I mentioned would be a lot of work, though one improvement that could be made quickly is suggested in this tracker which you may want to consider voting for:

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-48306

(Edited by Mary Cooch to fix video link- original submission Monday, 8 December 2014, 1:11 PM)

In reply to Jez H

by Jez H -

Sorry, I broke the link to the video above, you can see it here:

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jez H

by dawn alderson -

nice.

thought about this too:

Gradebook capabilities

There is just one gradebook capability, View the grader report, which is allowed for the default roles of manager, teacher and non-editing teacher.

and am still thinking bout it.....playing with the words.....drop-down menu-as is there in vid, activity chooser, my gradebook (learner), accumulation of my grades (learner) across my course (s) (learner) and on.......

D

by Jez H -

Here is what one University did for an activity choose:

http://blogs.sussex.ac.uk/elearningteam/2013/10/10/new-names-for-the-moodle-label-and-page-modules/

I think that is actually a customisation of 1.9!!

In reply to Jez H

by dawn alderson -

Well no one can argue with that....very slick....really nice.

eh:  I think that is actually a customisation of 1.9!!

Oh the utter shame of it!!!!!! That long ago wink

D

by Daniel Neis Araujo -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hello, everybody

just adding my 2 cents here...

i agree that default blocks should be reduced and removing calendar, upcoming events and everything is a good start to "clean up" the course screen.

about drop-down menus, i really don't like them (i am fighting against them on my university moodle sites since 2005) and I think they suffer from a serious usability problem that is: your mouse must be over it to work, and you can argue you can implement a really nice one with proper margins and paddings and everything but the problem still persists: you move your mouse and the information is gone. also, it is pretty bad for screenreaders.

I DO prefer the navigation block for this reason: once you click to open a "folder" (or a level), you can leave it open or click again to collapse, you can go away with your mouse and the information is there. also, it's contents are mostly generated on ajax calls, what makes it lighter than most drop-down menus we see that preloads all content.

same things apply to administration block.

Kind regards,

Daniel

In reply to Daniel Neis Araujo

by Jez H -
What do your students think?
In reply to Jez H

by dawn alderson -

Ah yes point taken...screen readers....important point.

So, option 1 blocks with potential lengthy lists-arguably-so lots of shuffling across pages...

2. drop downs-I always thought with a drop down menu-I would keep it neat and short...because as a practitioner I don't want the menu to be the length of the screen...yet we can and do have that on the screen down one side in moodle....e.g. admin block from what I can remember...

so somewhere in between as per is always a potential solution see below.....really nice if you ask me:

http://www.open.ac.uk/choose/change/is-the-ou-for-me

.....blocks for visuals appear to be the all time rage at the mo....could be wrong.

D

by john Simpson -

First posts don't count do they? 5 wasted usefuls I think.