Annoying timeout problems

Annoying timeout problems

by Jason Lane -
Number of replies: 2

Hello everyone, is it possible to extend the time for a student to edit their online text for an assignment? We have had many students complaining they have spent 30-60 mins entering text into the online text field - only to have the server reject it when they click submit! I have encouraged them to edit in a word document then copy/paste but this defeats the purpose of the online text. Is there a work around in system or PHP settings I can use? 

Thanks for your advice and assistance in advance, Jason

(Moodle 2.7)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Lane

Re: Annoying timeout problems

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

This is not a helpful answer, i know, and my suggested answer in the meantime would be as you do, to encourage them to copy and paste from a text document - but just to say that in Moodle 2.8 once you are able to upgrade, text is automatically saved as they go along and so this should no longer be a problem for them.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jason Lane

Re: Annoying timeout problems

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Site Admin -> Server -> Session Handling.

Default is 2 hrs ... can be increased to 3 or 4 hours.   Also recommend setting a cookie prefix.   Students could be asked then to find that cookie in their browser to assist in troubleshooting issues they might be having should it be needed.   Also ... using DB for sessions? (on the same form)  Default is no.  If checked (ie, it's on) consider turning it off and use file based sessions.

There could be issues with connectivity ... which wouldn't report any error to students.  That sort of issue is beyond the control of the server upon which Moodle resides and maybe beyond the control of the network upon which the moodle server resides.

Is there a way to provide students a look at the assignment objective in advance of clicking the actual assignment activity?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)