A role for view all courses but no editing?

A role for view all courses but no editing?

by Melissa Benson -
Number of replies: 1

I need to find or create a role for users who want to observe and view all Moodle courses but they should not have any editing rights. I'd like to apply the role globally but per course category would do. I don't want their names to show anywhere (like a teacher's name shows on a class listing. And I don't want all of the courses to show up in their My Moodle page.

This is for principals and admin people who want to observe what their teachers are doing as we bring textbooks online.

Are there any current roles like this? If not, what's the best way to do this? Should I duplicate a role and edit? I don't want to mess with roles and permissions so I figured I'd ask here first.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melissa Benson

Re: A role for view all courses but no editing?

by Mat Cannings -

There used to be an Inspector Role in the documentation but that seems to be missing now. The instructions for creating roles are here https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Manage_roles but there are no specifics.

We have two inspector roles here that perform various tasks.

We have an Inspector which is allowed into any course.

The main capabilities that they have is.

• View Course Without Participation

This gets them into a main course page without showing up as participating. Then you need to add more specific capabilities too. 

• View Resource
  • View Page
  • View URL

Also similar for all Activities

e.g. View Glossary, View Database, View quiz information, Preview Quizzes etc...

We also have a Quality Inspector that can do all of that plus view reports

• View Course Logs
  • View Live Logs
  • See Hidden Categories
  • View Course Statistics
  • View Course Participation Report

Average of ratings: Useful (1)