SOLVED BTEC Criteria Grade Calculations

SOLVED BTEC Criteria Grade Calculations

by Scott Summers -
Number of replies: 3

Our gradebook has different units with differing numbers of Pass, Merit, and Distinction criteria. Each criteria is given a grade item and assigned a scale with 3 achieved codes and 5 non-achieved codes. I have been looking for a way of getting Moodle to calculate the end grade for each unit. The problem was that BTEC requires every pass criteria to be achieved for a pass to be awarded, no matter if all the merit and distinction criteria were met.

To get around this, Distinction criteria were given a weighting of 1. Merit and Pass criteria were then given suitable weightings so that achieving all Distinction criteria were not worth a Merit, and achieving all Distinction and Merit criteria was not worth a Pass criteria.

i.e.

Unit has 8 Pass, 3 Merit, and 2 Distinction criteria.

The distinction criteria are given a weighting of 1. (You do not need to use the weighting options in the gradebook. They do not work with Grade Items anyway. We will give weightings in a customised grade calculation)

Since there are 2 Distinction criteria, each Merit needs to be worth 3.

3 Merits, each worth 3 gives 9 in total. Add the 2 Distinctions and a Pass should be worth at least 12.

The next problem was not having a Boolean scale (achieved/fail). To get around this I took the log of the grade (by assigning a IDnumber and multiplied by a suitable number (for 8 grades by 0.26).

i.e. 0.26*log(P1+1)

The +1 in the calculation is needed to avoid an error with log(0).

All the achieved grades come out above 0.5, and non-achieved below. I then used the round function to transform them into Boolean 1s or 0s.

i.e. round(0.26*log(P1+1)

All the achieved grades are now worth 1, and non-achieved worth 0. They each get multiplied by the weighting of each level of criteria:

=(16*(round((0.26*log(1P1+1)))+round((0.26*log(1P2+1)))+round((0.26*log(1P3+1)))+round((0.26*log(1P4+1)))+round((0.26*log(1P5+1)))+round((0.26*log(1P6+1)))+round((0.26*log(1P7+1)))+round((0.26*log(1P8+1)))))+(3*(round((0.26*log(1M1+1)))+round((0.26*log(1M2+1)))+round((0.26*log(1M3+1)))))+round((0.26*log(1D1+1)))+round((0.26*log(1D2+1)))

Since I have six units, I needed to adjust the weightings to make sure to achieve a PASS overall I could utilise the letter scales with fixed percentages.

Since I have 8 Pass criteria, each worth 12, that is 96 total. 3 Merit at 3 each is worth 9. 2 Distinctions worth 2. 107 in total.

To get a pass in total you have to score 96/107 = 89.7%. Since most of my other units returned a percentage of 92%, I increased the weighting to 16 (as you can see above in the formula) so that every unit returned PASS at 92%, MERIT at 98%, and DISTINCTION at 100%.

I probably haven't explained everything in full detail, but I know there are people out there who would like to solve this issue.

If you would like to know how to get it to work for you, drop me a message.

In reply to Scott Summers

Re: SOLVED BTEC Criteria Grade Calculations

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Have you looked at either my grading form plugin 

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=gradingform_btec

or the Bedford college solution to BTEC grading.

http://moodlegrades.bedford.ac.uk/

Marcus

In reply to Marcus Green

by Scott Summers -

I've seen the top link, but it doens't cater for exactly what we do here. The Bedford one looks promising, thanks for the update.

In reply to Scott Summers

by Phineas Head -

Just stumbled on this -- if it's any use, here is an expanded version of these ideas, from the paper I gave at last years' Moodle Moot April 2014, together with a full HowTo guide.

http://www.slideshare.net/PhineasdeThornleyHea/phin-head-long25mmarkingmodesinmoodlefinalfinal

https://docs.google.com/a/dbsmusic.co.uk/document/d/1WsBKPeZLVqzazAAT4Fdh9BpUax7ObesxvDt_ORD3u1M/edit

specifically, see Footnote 3, page 35

Phin Head

dBs Music