Students can see the replies of others - where did the "never" option go?

Students can see the replies of others - where did the "never" option go?

by Eric Hagley -
Number of replies: 2

Thank you Joseph all involved for your ongoing support of this wonderful module.

I'm using Moodle 2.7.2 with questionnaire version 2014070401.

In the past I thought there was an option in the "Students can view ALL responses" menu of "never". That is not showing now. Is there a way I can have that option returned? Many thanks for your assistance.

I know I should only ask one question per post, but I also asked in another forum post about the following. If anyone might have an answer to this too, I'd be most grateful.

"I've been trying to change that too. I've gone into lang>en>questionnaire and editted the "answerquestions" string to "Click here to begin the submission process". I saved the file but the "Answer the questions" prompt still remains. I've checked on different browsers so it isn't a cache problem. Could you please let me know what I'm doing wrong? "

Many thanks in advance.

Eric
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eric Hagley

Re: Students can see the replies of others - where did the "never" option go?

by Jenny Gray -

To answer your first question... the "never" option didn't really work properly.  You need to use the mod/questionnaire:readallresponses capability instead.  If you do not allow this capability, users will not be able to see other people's responses.

The other capability to look at is mod/questionnaire:readownresponses, which controls whether users can see their own responses or not.

If this survey is different to the majority on your site, you may want to override the capability at the activity level - setting it to prevent will block access even if the default is to allow.

On your other question - have you purged the moodle caches after editing the language string?  They are cached at the server side, not in your local browser, unless you have the langcache config setting (in site admin > language settings) disabled.

In reply to Jenny Gray

Re: Students can see the replies of others - where did the "never" option go?

by Eric Hagley -

Many many thanks Jenny for this information. I went into site admin>languages>language settings and unchecked the "Cache all language strings" and saved those settings. The changes appeared. I then went and checked that "Cache all language strings" again (as it says it improves performance) and saved. The changes still are shown so hopefully all is good! Thank you again.

I'm not really sure what you are stating regarding the "see other replies". I don't want students to see the replies of others - ever. Ideally they should be able to see their own replies. I can see the strings you mention in the mod>questionnaire>lang>en>questionnaire.php file but can't see how these would solve my problem. Your first statement "the "never" option didn't really work properly" suggests that it just isn't going to happen?

As a work around I've set the "Students can view ALL responses" to "after the questionnaire is closed" and will hide the questionnaire when I close it so that they can't see other responses. However they won't be able to see their own either which is a bit disappointing. Anyways, many thanks for your reply and if I'm wrong with my understanding of the "never" option, please let me know. Thank you again.