Migrating from a linux to a windows server

Migrating from a linux to a windows server

by Eric Miletich -
Number of replies: 11
Our current moodle server is dying and we are getting ready to migrate it over to a new server. Our linux expert left the district and the rest of us are just average linux users. We would like to move it over to a windows server if we could. Does anyone have any insight on that process? Is it a fairly simple process or would we be better of sticking with linux.

thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Miletich

Re: Migrating from a linux to a windows server

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I recommend staying with linux.  It really isn't that hard to run.  I had zero linux experience when I started with Moodle and now maintain several linux servers running Moodle.  There is lots of documentation out there and I have found linux to be much more stable than a Windows environment.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
"just average linux users" stand a chance of running a Linux server as opposed to Windows-GUI-damaged generation. Still, Linux, Moodle, and other Free Software is about freedom. You are free to leave the free-land. This is how: https://docs.moodle.org/en/Moodle_migration.

Something else caught my attention: How is your Linux server dying and why?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Eric Miletich -

It's hardware related. It's on an old blade server that lacks the resources to properly run moodle anymore. We have kept limping it along because less and less staff used moodle. Now it has become popular again so we need to get it on a properly functioning and capable server.

You mean, the hardware is not faulty, just too weak? But it is dedicated hardware, no virtualization, not shared? What are the specifications of the machine?

Can you also post the versions of your software: CentOS, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Moodle?

Also have a look at the https://docs.moodle.org/en/Performance documentation.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Another +1, running PHP-based websites on Windows is horrible compared to Linux. While you do need to get familiar with permissions and security pretty quickly, the main part if it generally 'just works'. Getting a Windows server working properly can be a nightmare. 

Stick with Linux - it's good for you and (even better) it'll probably work without any sleepless nights. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by david millians -

I'll give another "don't!". I've setup and maintained several plus moodles, and had to install and setup on some windows servers. Don't! Your performance will suffer quite a bit, it's a lot harder to speed up, and, what is most important, it's MUCH harder to keep up to date.

Keeping the current version and fixing the security holes for php and mysql is difficult on windows. It's relatively easy to install moodle  on Windows, now, but it's definitely not as easy to maintain. Also, your migration from one box to another is going to be about the same level of difficulty on both.

If you're going to windows, for sure, then be prepared to add about 30-40% more resources. I had to throw a lot more ram and CPU (virtually, thankfully) to get the same level of performance. And that was after tuning the heck out of it.

by Beta G -

I would not recommend to you to go from Linux to WIndows.

Stay in linux just maybe you need a fresh install of server and config the disks better, newer version of php also an accelerator like eaccelerator or xcache.

I have a server with 4GB ram and 4CPU-s E3-1245V2 it has 6000 users and everyday 1000-1500 users use Moodle without a single problem.

by Mark Picker -

What did you end up doing?

Setting up PHP and Moodle on Windows is no worse than Linux. Especially if you take the easy route and use the Microsoft Web Platform Installer (WebPI) which will do most of the heavy lifting for you. Personally I prefer to manually install everything so I know what is being configured but nothing wrong with using WebPI. Make sure to install PHP Manager for IIS

What you will find on these forums are a lot of comments about how much easier Linux is to use vs. Windows......however these comments are usually coming from people who mostly work in Linux environments. If you're mostly/solely working in Windows environments you would be better off going that route.

In reply to Mark Picker

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It's true - the system you are most familiar with has to be a significant consideration. 

However, you might want to think why 'most people' use Linux for Moodle. I absolutely know it can be made to work but I've rescued quite a few people now who have got into a horrible mess with Windows installs. Enough that I can't in all honesty recommend it. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

Howard Miller wrote:
> It's true - the system you are most familiar with has to be a significant consideration.

Depends on what "familiar" means. If it means long experience, and horror, then that person wouldn't want to repeat!

Asking Eric Miletich is futile. He has not been seen since 3 December 2014, 14:57, about 26 hours after joining moodle.org and asking the original question: https://moodle.org/user/profile.php?id=1889456.

by Stuart Hector -

I tried it once and all the permissions and security got screwed up.

Stick with Linux. It's not that hard, you will learn something new, and there is always plenty of support online if you need it.