Undo "allow another attempt"?

Re: Undo "allow another attempt"?

by Neil Stapleton -
Number of replies: 4

Thanks Ruth.

You've described scenario for us very well.  There is increased emphasis on good assessment practice in FE (and across the board in Education), the Pearson BTEC qualifications being a case in point. This is leading to our moodle assessment tools being under the same level of scrutiny, and this type of things, where a user can accidentally do something irreversible, that as Ruth put it brings "confusion for both teachers and students" is no longer an acceptable 'quirk of Moodle' but something that could lead to teachers and College managers loosing faith in the system... which is a shame.

Are there any Moodle devs out there who can pick up the mantle of this challenge and take a look at how much work would be involved in putting  an "undo Allow another attempt" function.

We'd love to do it if we couldn't... but have no time ;(

In reply to Neil Stapleton

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Just a quick thought - there is a setting to limit the number of submissions allowed (immediately under the setting for allowing resubmissions in the first place). If you set that to 2, then this should avoid the issue for any future assignments.

I was sure my original implementation of this feature included an option to undo the resubmission, but looking again at it now, it doesn't appear to be there. It must have been removed when the code was refactored before becoming part of Moodle core.

In reply to Davo Smith

by Ruth Andrews -

Hi,

Thanks for the taking the time to reply.  I do set the attempts setting to 2, but it’s more about the display in the grade-book being misleading.  

Some students only need 1 attempt to meet the grading criteria and others need both attempts.  If another attempt is added by accident it looks like students who only needed 1 attempt had 2 attempts when they didn’t.  I  then need to lock the attempt and add comments in the feedback to clarify the situation for any markers, verifiers etc.  It’s all a bit clumsy.

It’s a shame the undo feature was removed.   How do I go about requesting that consideration be given to reinstating that option with  safeguards against attempts being deleted if there is work or grades against that attempt.

Again many thanks for responding.

Ruth Andrews

Sent: 09 February 2016 09:47
To: Ruth Andrews
Subject: Moodle in English: Re: Undo "allow another attempt"?

Davo

by Davo Smith - Tuesday, 9 February 2016, 5:16 PM

Just a quick thought - there is a setting to limit the number of submissions allowed (immediately under the setting for allowing resubmissions in the first place). If you set that to 2, then this should avoid the issue for any future assignments.

I was sure my original implementation of this feature included an option to undo the resubmission, but looking again at it now, it doesn't appear to be there. It must have been removed when the code was refactored before becoming part of Moodle core.

P Please consider the environment before printing this email
RHC ITS Notice: Please note all email entering and leaving the College is electronically scanned for viruses, SPAM and other content that does not meet the College's Acceptable Use Policy and may be automatically rejected or isolated for inspection.

You can reply to this via email.

P Please consider the environment before printing this email
NOTICE: This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions made are solely those of the author and may not necessarily represent those of Richard Huish College. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. Please delete it and advise the sender directly. All email leaving and entering the College is electronically scanned for viruses, SPAM, and other content that does not meet the College's Acceptable Use Policy and may be automatically rejected or isolated for inspection.
In reply to Ruth Andrews

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Opening tickets on http://tracker.moodle.org is the way of requesting new features / bug fixes (always search first to see if it's already there).

Obviously there is only limited time available in Moodle HQ to address issues, so, if you really want something addressing, it may come down to finding/employing a developer to make the change and propose a patch (which would hopefully get integrated).