Learning Analytics

Re: Learning Analytics

by Dale Davies -
Number of replies: 9

We have found that Google Analytics provides some more insightful reports when it comes to certain aspects of user activity.

I'm looking at using custom variables to help distinguish between course areas within the GA reports, like "HE" or "GCSE" etc. Also to indicate if a user is logged in or not.

We have some custom reports set up to show things like the average session time per day, distribution of course page views over the day. You can also get an interesting behaviour flow report.

In reply to Dale Davies

by Julie Harding -

Hi Dale

I have been asked to produce learner analytics in a lot more depth than the individual reports provided by Moodle. I have no programming experience at all so could you possibly point me in the direction of how I go about customising reports as you have done and where the data can be interrogated within Moodle so I can perhaps get someone here at college to perform those tasks? Any help appreciated? Thank you

In reply to Julie Harding

by Stuart Mealor -
Hi Julie

There are quite a number of additional reports you can drop in to Moodle from the plugins database:

https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=4

The Configurable Reports plugin is also totally awesome:

https://moodle.org/plugins/view/block_configurable_reports

It enables you to create reports using menus and options, and for more advanced needs you can write SQL queries, or get someone else to create them for you smile

Stuart

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Anatoliy Kochnev -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Julie,

I would like to invite you to try our product at www.intelliboard.net. This is a reporting tool that we built specifically for Moodle. You can access to over 40 different reports once connected. There is no need to have programming experience at all to navigate reports.

We have weekly demo sessions that you can sign up at https://calendly.com/intelliboard/weeklydemo.

Thank you,

Anatoliy

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Anatoliy Kochnev

by Stuart Mealor -

Anatolia, this appears to be advertising, as it is recommending one product - albeit a good one.  At the very least this post should state the minimum price, because other suggestions being made are for free solutions.

In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Anatoliy Kochnev -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Stuart,

Good point about advertisement. My goal was to show what is available there but not advertise. And I probably should have added more information in my first post.

IntelliBoard.net offers free access. With Free Trial, all reports are available. With Starter plan, which is completely free, and many many people are using it, we offer same quality reports in limited number only.

Thank you,

Anatoliy

by Derek Chirnside -
I think sometimes we are too sensitive about advertising.  I know at times it's definitely over the line, and not reasonable.  Other times I think it is quite OK.  From my perspective you were OK here Anatoliy.

Good luck.

-Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Stuart Mealor -

Hi Anatoliy

Unlike Derek I don't agree that "Other times I think it [advertising] is quite OK."  Not within community forum discussions in response to when people are asking for general advice.

However, you have provided a much more useful and transparent follow-up, so that's excellent and will help others reading this thread smile

Stu

by Michael de Raadt -

For a few more standard and additional plugins you can try, check out this list of Learning Analytics plugins...