Bug with double players ?

Bug with double players ?

by Melvin Romero -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I'm with the University of Montréal in Canada and I think we discovered a bug while testing some of PoodLL features. 

Basically, 2 players appear when a video or mp3 is recorded, but you have to do some precise steps to reproduce it. It only occurs when using Firefox:

With the help of a TinyMCE editor (Ex: do it in a label ressource)
1. Insert an image
2. Insert a video recording with PoodLL
3. Put the cursor between the image and the video link.
4. Press Enter to add a line break.
5. Save and view.

Result: 2 players will appear.

We discovered that the HTML code for the video player has been doubled for some reason (see the 2 screenshoots provided).

Attachment double_player_firefox_1.png
Attachment double_player_firefox_3.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melvin Romero

Re: Bug with double players ?

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi and thanks for posting this. It could be a bug, but the appearance of two players is usually caused by "double filtering." (I made that phrase up, but I get to use it a lot, so its ok.) Here is how I described it previously.

The appearance of two players is caused by "double filtering." The link to the media file, is parsed by both the multimedia plugins filter and the PoodLL filter, so both try to turn it into a player.
In most, but not all, cases moving the PoodLL filter higher in the list of filters than the Multi media plugins filter solves the problem. When it doesn't, usually because the media file is being used in a "label," disabling the file extension (mp3, or mp4 or whatever) on the multi media plugins filter (site admin->appearance->media embedding)  will fix it. For PoodLL you can disable the file extension at site admin -> plugins -> poodll filter settings. 
You could also turn either filter completely off which would solve it. But there are reasons to keep the multi media plugins filter. As an example,  because it will turn links to YouTube videos into Youtube players

That you mention it occurs in labels, is a pretty good sign that we have double filtering going on. Try turning off the file extension in question (.flv) in the Multi media plugins filter, and see if that fixes it. If not, report back and I will dig into it some.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Melvin Romero -

Hi,

Thanks for your fast reply. First, we already have the PoodLL filter in highest priority like you suggested. Secondly, the bug is triggered by a specific sequence of steps (like I mentionned in my last message). It's true, we could disable the related filter and it would prevent the error from happening, but we would be doing a workaround only. 

I will try your suggestion, but is there a reason why in this case, the filters would be confuse by a simple "line break" ?

Regards.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

OK sorry I did not real your first post closely enough. I see now what you are talking about. 

I will run through that some time this week and see if I can reproduce it. It sounds like an editor issue, but it could be a problem with PoodLL Anywhere for TinyMCE too.