Ignoring certain students

Ignoring certain students

by H Singh -
Number of replies: 2

In my course, I have a certain number of students who withdrew from the course a few weeks ago. However, since the list of students is fed by an LDAP database (which is not properly maintained), these students are still listed in the list of course participants.

How do I ensure that the partial scores (all of them wrote the first mid term exam, but nothing after the second mid term) corresponding to these students are ignored in average and standard deviation calculations (I am trying to figure out how to use z-scores in Moodle)?

In reply to H Singh

Re: Ignoring certain students

by Mark McKay -
Perhaps you could create a role that does not receive grades and then change this type of student to that role?
In reply to H Singh

Re: Ignoring certain students

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Madhusudan,

Have you tried editing these students' active status within the course to set their status to  Inactive?

Course Admin -> Users -> Enrolled Users -- then click the cog next to the students' names who are not active: this brings up a Edit Enrollment screen. You then change their status to Inactive.

Then go to the gradebook preferences to have it no display inactive students. I've attached a job aid. We use this at our school. I have not noticed if it ignores the average and standard deviations calculations--maybe you can try this out and let me know?