Book - How to use Moodle 2.7

Book - How to use Moodle 2.7

by Jaswinder Singh -
Number of replies: 30
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Dear Community members,

I have compiled the Moodle docs in a book so as to facilitate all new Moodle users.
I have taken inspiration from Using Moodle book and tried to make a similar resource for Moodle 2.7 LTS version so that all the new members can learn Moodle easily.

The idea came up in Sep when one of my friend asked me that they are changing the Moodle version so rapidly that it is hard to get accustomed to new features and the documentation is widely spread among different versions. So I thought to provide a resource like Using Moodle book written by Helen Foster and Jason Cole. (I am indebted to both of them for writing such a beautiful book).

I am releasing it under Creative Commons sharealike license.

I am not able to find any publisher to distribute print copies of the book (If anyone can help me in same, then you are most welcomesmile)

As of now you can download the book from the links mentioned below:

This is my small effort to whole Moodle community and in keeping the Moodle as the best LMS.

If you have any suggestions to improve the book, please let me know. There may be some formatting issues as I am not that much good at formatting, so please let me know the improvements.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jaswinder Singh

Re: Book - How to use Moodle 2.7

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Way to go Jassi! Yes

Congrats on completion of a Book worth read, Kamal hi kar dita tussi tay!

Ideally type LMS, as though you mentioned CMS as in Course Management System, but CMS is normally taken for Content Management System, which Moodle can be said of, but then writing as being world's most popular CMS will create bit confusion as if I have to mention three most popular CMS's then they are WordPress, Joomla and Drupal. Worl'd most popular LMS would be an ideal phrase to be used.

Also, though your information is well organized and well written, a good cover would have given 10/10 to the book as books attract people from their covers, or you can get rid of the background in the image (use PNG instead of JPG).

Once again congrats for the book, I'll surely be distributing it freely smile

In reply to Usman Asar

by dawn alderson -

Hello both,

Jaswinder, what a great idea! 

And of course I agree with this (ABSOLUTLEY nice to know these guys inspired you):

So I thought to provide a resource like Using Moodle book written by Helen Foster and Jason Cole. (I am indebted to both of them for writing such a beautiful book).

OK. I agree with Usman about the CMS/LMS thing....also, I am happy to do a comprehensive peer-review for you-it will not take me long-I am as fast as a Whippet....lots of experience-that is all....I am happy to email you my response....I won't do anything unless you wish me to do so though.

I think there is a sort of depository/database for such books see this link:

https://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?id=7246

I reviewed Eva's book...and I know she self-published that one I think on Kindle....from what I can remember.

hope helpful

Dawn

In reply to dawn alderson

by Jaswinder Singh -

Thanks Dawn,

Thanks for your help in reviewing the book.

I have added the book in the Books database as suggested by you.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Jaswinder Singh -

Thanks a lot Usman!!

I will change CMS to LMS and change the cover image as suggested.

Thanks for your feedback. It really made my day.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Sorry Jaswinder there was a misunderstanding on my side. Itsy all ok. No worries.

Ralf

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Jaswinder Singh -
Thanks a lot Mr Ralph,

New year greetings and hearty wishes to you and whole Moodle community from my side. 

Cheers!!! 

Jaswinder Singh 

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Jaswinder

That is an impressive amout of work! It is very generous of you to make it publicly available.

Did you consider putting up a HTML version for online users, like many publishers do nowadays?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Jaswinder Singh -

Thanks Visvanath,

Yes, I am considering it in putting up the HTML version, I will try to publish it soon, in a day or two.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

How did you create it, what tools did you use?

In reply to Marcus Green

by Usman Asar -

Marcus, its Microsoft Word(r) and exported as PDF, if you are using Office 2007, then upgrading to Service Pack 3 will enable your Word to export as PDF, else in 2010 and 2013 they are added default.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Jaswinder Singh -

@ Usman: Thanks for your extended help.

I will try to incorporate Index by this weekend.

In addition to pdf format I will try to make it available in all common file formats so that most of the people can get benefited.

@Marcus,

• For initial content collection >> Evernote (as I work on multiple devices)
  • For writing >> MS Word 2010 (formatting content in book and exporting as pdf)
  • For screenshots >> Windows snipping tool
  • For Image editing >> GIMP and MS Paint (some minor editing only)
  • For publishing >> Google Drive and Issuu.com

These are the tools I have used for the whole book.

by Jaswinder Singh -

The improvements as suggested by Usman and Dawn are incorporated in the file, the updated download links are:

Download link: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B05o8d_2libJbXNhNGRQd0wtSGs

Online Flash Magazine: http://issuu.com/4jassikingg/docs/how_to_use_moodle_2.7

by Usman Asar -
Cheers Jassi,

Ideally wait for a week before making changes as when people will start reading it, they will give feedback, and dawn must be holding cup of coffee and scanning through the book.

Can you, as well integrate INDEX? although its slightly time consuming (may take 2 days), but will be very helpful to those who want to get information of some specific topic, if you dont have idea of creating indexes, I have video uploaded of Word 2003 for creating indexes.

also, meanwhile I was looking into the book, there seemed one image that was not center aligned. altough not a crucial requirement as you have already surpassed the professionalism of the very first book out of you, as I have seen big mistakes in Professionally Published Books.

Whilst you'll be preparing Book for 2.8, or thinking of adding additional chapters of new things in Moodle 2.8, I may have uploaded the InDesign Tutorial for creating eBooks, that may will be  helpful for you too smile

In addition to PDF and HTML, can you as well manage MOBI and EPUB format? as people tend to read books off their tablets/handhelds these days rather than keeping laptop in laps or sitting on desktops.
In reply to Usman Asar

by dawn alderson -

Yep, a day or two.

Will be done by then-have started.

D

by dawn alderson -

Hi,

Jaswinder, peer-review is now completed and with you.

Hope helpful.

cheers,

Dawn

by Jaswinder Singh -

Thanks for the review Dawn.

But i haven't received anything. Please send me at my email 4jassiking@gmail.com

Regards

Jaswinder singh

In reply to Usman Asar

HTML from MS Word? Does it work better now? Word was notorious for ugly and non-standard HTML. Moodle still has the "Clean Microsoft" button for this!

by Jaswinder Singh -

Have a Good Day  to Everyone

@Dawn: Thanks

@Visvanath: 

I have converted it using open source Calibre - E Book Management software  I have used it to convert into all formats from MS Word format.

...MS Word is still notorious and adds a lot of ugly stuff and had given me hard times in the last week

Cheers!!

Jaswinder Ji

Yes, I've heard of Calibre http://calibre-ebook.com/ and also of Sigil https://code.google.com/p/sigil/. Personally I prefer to work in marked-up text and exploring LaTeX. (See "PDF and HTML from the same LaTeX source, a minimal example" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=276119.) Right now the PDFs are the most important, the XHTMLs are quite usable even on narrow screens. May be, I'll get a more "responsive" HTML (EPUB?) version some day. It has no priority now.

P.S. See my 'advertisment' in "how to create courses and quiz and examinations in moodle" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=276213.

P.P.S. I wonder whether this discussion fits better into "Teaching with Moodle" forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=41.

by dawn alderson -

...and Calibre e-book management is Kindle friendly too.

by Jaswinder Singh -

@Visvanath Sir,

Thanks for your advertisement.smile

I also think that I should have posted it in "Teaching  with Moodle" forum.

Cheers!!!

Have a nice weekend

Hi Jaswinder

If you message Helen, she would shift the thread to another forum. It is your thread after all!

by Jaswinder Singh -

Hello Everyone,

I am grateful to the extended help and review done by Dawn Alderson . I have incorporated almost all the comments suggested by her.

Please find the updated book from these links:

Please let me know if it still needs more refinement. 

by dawn alderson -

Congratulations Jaswinder.

I like the thematic structure, which makes it accessible for application e.g. the assignment chapter....all there-all the nice links.....workshop-grading etc.

Now, such an approach, a thematic approach would be a really good idea for the index here at moodle.org and I have passed that on-as a consequence of reading your book....the meme eh...can be invaluable smile

nice way to end the day...well done!

Dawn   

by Jaswinder Singh -

Hello Everyone,

Merry Christmas to all!!     Hope you all are enjoying the holidays smile

I have updated the book as suggested by Visvanath Sir in the markdown format and revised the book for minor formatting errors.

The revised download links are:

PDF:  1.  https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B05o8d_2libJYm9BT2dQdlVxRzg

2.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/i10n8afv013zg0b/how-to-use-moodle-27.pdf?dl=0

Epub:  1. https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B05o8d_2libJdzNyQ1BpYnY5akk

2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/3gwe4d1p31qdvif/how-to-use-moodle-27.epub?dl=0

Mobi:  1. https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B05o8d_2libJZ0pjbExxdGpJbnc

2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrsj87gh3hkv5os/how-to-use-moodle-27.mobi?dl=0

Please let me know your views about the same. All feedback and invaluable suggestions are most welcome.

Cheers!!!

Enjoy the holidays

Jaswinder Singh

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Usman Asar -

New year greetings to you!

You can tell everyone is enjoying the holidays as its seldom anyone posting on forum big grin

with that experience in hand about Moodle after writing a book, why not start an educational blog too about moodle? A free book there will add a big advantage to it.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Jaswinder Singh -

Thanks Usman,

New Year greetings to you also and infact to all Moodle community.

I am also thinking about the same after your recommendation and surely will try my best to start it soon.

Cheers!!!

Jaswinder Singh

by Jaswinder Singh -
Dear All Community members,

Since this book belongs to the whole Moodle community, so I am making it open for editing for everyone.

I have placed the whole markdown code for the book in github repository at this link location. I have used leanpub.com for converting the markdown format to different ebook formats.

If any of the community member wants to suggest any improvement/changes in the book, he can do so by sending me a pull request.

Cheers!!!
Jaswinder Singh
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi Jaswinder

I like the idea, but are you sure its  a good idea to declare yourself as author  on page 3. It should be better to explain where the content comes from and what licence you are using to publish it.
Ralf

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Jaswinder Singh -

Dear Mr Ralph, 

I have clearly mentioned the license of the book as the creative commons in the description of this book, on cover page and page 54 of the book.

My acknowledgements for whole Moodle community and Using Moodle book are mentioned in the preface section. 

Cheers!!!

Jaswinder Singh